Wednesday, August 06, 2003

Here is today's Wednesday Weigh-In:

As people lose weight they often "rediscover" parts of their body. What body part have you recently rediscovered?

This is such a great question. Last week I wrote about how I have recently rediscovered my legs. Something else that has happened, just recently is that rather than actually discovering parts of my body, I'm noticing that I have bones and muscle under my fat.

What I've noticed this particularly in my legs and ankles. It's been really (really!) hot and humid around here lately. Last summer we had a lot of hot, humid weather and my feet and ankles would get very swollen and (by the end of the day) sore. This summer, it's not been a problem. If a humid day coincides with PMS I do notice some swelling in my ankles but it's nothing like last year at all.

Yesterday was particularly disgusting weather-wise. You know the kind of day where just standing outside makes you sweat. Last night, I was on the sofa watching Canadian Idol (yes, I'm addicted!) and looked down at my feet. They were normal sized, not two swollen ham-like extensions of my legs. I've also noticed that I have knees and elbows and shoulders and wrists again, I can feel them more than see them actually. I can actually feel the joints under my skin and not just a cushion of fat.

In my arms, I can actually feel my biceps when I cross my arms. There is still a good amount of "chicken" fat flapping around but there is solid muscle underneath. Same in my calves, they are starting to appear less smushy and more solid. I love how that feels. These are little things that no one else is probably noticing but I'm noticing them. It's little things like that which keep me going. I keep thinking about how much my body has changed over the past six months and how much more I'll be able to modify over the next six months.

Now, onto non-Wednesday-Weigh-In related stuff, the heat worked in my favour yesterday and I kept things really low calorie yesterday. The heat had really zapped me and it was too hot to bother with cooking. For dinner, we had tuna salad pitas. I used the President's Choice fat free salad dressing, some sweet relish, green onion, tomato and cucumber with whole wheat pitas. They were really yummy and filling. Might do a variation on that theme for tonight's dinner. Cool and fast is the key in this weather I think.

No comments: