Wednesday, February 09, 2005

day 38 - the morning after the Mardi Gras before

Last night, instead of pancakes, my hunny (who, I probably should remind you is a classically trained French chef) made us a delicious seafood pasta. He is really into all things Mardi Gras and loves New Orleans and wanted to make something very decadent for dinner. He used 35% cream for the sauce and made cheese stuffed rainbow tortellini. We had scallops, shrimp and salmon with snow peas, roasted garlic and portabello mushrooms. He even grated a little bit of the very expensive parmasean cheese that we keep in the freezer for just such a meal. On the way home from work he asked if we should pick something up for dessert, after all, such a fabulous meal deserves dessert. I said, "no, I don't need dessert with a meal like this." But I asked if he or his dad wanted some and offered that we could stop somewhere to get something for them if he wanted to. He didn't and I'm glad. Holy smokes the dinner was plenty. Actually, if he could have purchased a bread pudding souffle with bourbon sauce I would have lost the argument. Fortunately for me, you can't purchase that here!

I ate light all day in anticipation of the extra calories at dinner. I'm glad I did because I came a little too close to my upper caloric limit for my liking. Dessert would have pushed me way over. Honestly, the meal was fucking amazing. Totally delicious and a gorgeous variety of different textures but, I ate too much. The cream sauce was lovely but too heavy. I'm just not used to eating like this anymore. Instead of eating what I did, I should have had about half of what I ate and made a big salad to go with it. That would have been plenty. When I went to bed last night, I was uncomfortably full and my stomach was a little off-kilter for a bit when I first got up. I feel fine now but I know that the rich food was just a bit too much for me.

When I got going on my exercise this morning I was moving a little slower than I normally would but by the time I was finished I felt great. This just reinforces what I already knew, rich foods are good for a treat, once in a while and my body loves me when I exercise. Simple stuff, isn't it?

No comments: