Thursday, February 02, 2006

bread and pineapples

Today's fruit is pineapple:

pineapple


I spoke a little too soon about TOM not kicking my ass. Last night, by the time I got home, I felt just terrible. I was doubled over with the heating pad. Not good. Around the same time that this was happening, my hunny got a sharp pain in his hip. Both of us were sort of crawling around the house and we'd not had dinner yet. Ordinarily he cooks. He planned to make Pad Thai for dinner, had the noodles soaking and the shrimp defrosted, but couldn't stand at the stove long enough to do it. Eventually, I cooked dinner. I use the word "cooked" in the loosest sense of the word, I made us huge salads and made us each a scrambled egg. It was fast and filling but it wasn't Pad Thai. We'll have that tonight.

A couple of you asked about the bread I made. Now, I didn't mention this but I use a bread machine. It's a cheat but I don't care. If I had to find time to make bread manually, it would never happen. Here is the recipe I use, if anyone is interested:

Multi-grain loaf:

Put ingredients into the bread machine in this order, select whole grain setting:

1.5 cups water
2 tbsp shortening (I use olive oil)
2 tbsp skim milk powder (I use soy milk powder)
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/3 cups unbleached white flour
1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup 12 grain cereal (although you can use any multi-grain cereal)
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp yeast

It makes a nice, dense loaf. The original recipe didn't call for the milk powder but I found that it didn't rise up, at all, without it.

No comments: