Thursday, June 05, 2003

second hurdle passed

Today was our professional development day at work. I wrote about this earlier, about the barbecue luncheon and the poor options I would be offered. I had my breakfast and coffee at home so when I got to registration I wasn't tempted by the coffee, danish, muffins, etc. which were on display. I grabbed a bottle of water and went to the opening session. I was pretty happy with myself. I didn't even bother with the fruit because "hello!" it's extra sugar/carbs that I just didn't need. When lunch rolled around I discovered that the "vegetarian option" I'd ordered was a dried out veggie burger. I ate it, sans bun, with some mustard and onion on it and piled up a bunch of raw veggies and grabbed a diet coke. It was not really my idea of a good meal but at least it got me through the day.

In the afternoon we had "musical round tables" where we went to round table discussions given by our colleagues. The idea behind them is that we can get up to speed on what other folks are doing in their units. One of my co-workers manages a program which sells "care packages" to parents (they are then delivered to their student, during exams, when the student has a cold, birthdays, etc.). I noticed that she was giving away care packs to folks who went to her session so I grabbed an empty seat when one opened up. It turned out that this particular kit contained 2 bags of chips, oatmeal cookies, a freezie, a coke and some candy. Not what I was hoping for exactly. I'd hoped that it might have some toiletries or office gadgets. So I carried this box of calories and fat around with me all afternoon. I overheard the director of our IT department teasing two of his staff members that they'd have to share their kits with him because he didn't get into that session. After the final session, I found him and gave him my kit, explaining that I couldn't really eat any of the stuff in it and that if he would enjoy it, he should have it. He was really pleased and I was happy to not have to bring it into the house.

In a nutshell, I survived the day and only have one more hurdle to face, tomorrow's pizza lunch. I do have some really yummy stir-fry leftovers to take for my lunch so passing up pizza should be fairly easy. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: