Wednesday, November 15, 2006

on eating when you're hungry

Over the summer, my hunny was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. Upon his diagnosis, we started to study blood sugar levels and nutrition and all of the other body chemistry that comes with it. I thought that I knew a lot about nutrition before and that I didn't have a lot to learn. Boy was I wrong. Oh, fyi, just because one knows a lot about nutrition doesn't always mean that one does what one should with that information!

We've both learned a lot about listening to our bodies more. Of course, it's one thing to listen to it, it's another to do what it tells you... the reason I mention this is that last week, I was hungry, like really hungry, most of last week. I'm now thinking it was because I wasn't entirely over whatever the bug was that I had the week before. Unfortunately, many of the times when I gave into the hunger, the lovely little clementine oranges I have with me all of the time didn't really touch it on their own. No, I would have an orange, and then a granola bar and then a huge handful of goldfish crackers... and water, lots of water, water all the time. The no snacking in the evening thing only lasted a few days. Thank goodness we didn't have any chocolate in the house last week. I would have just devoured it.

In between this all, I keep jumping on the scale. I feel like I'm gaining five pounds a day but my weight hasn't changed. I do know that I'm not feeling terrific with my fitness level. I might not have gained any weight this fall so far but I haven't really done any intentional exercise either and it shows. I feel it in my knees when I'm going up and down the stairs at work. I think I should be walking more quickly than I do when I'm actually walking outside.

Fortunately, the hunger issue is not as big a problem as it was last week (although I still feel like the bug is hanging around). Work is winding down. We have one more big event on the weekend and after that, it's not too bad for the rest of the year. I'm definitely making changes to what I choose to eat. Portion size is still an issue. I think it's better to eat larger amounts of healthy foods than it is to eat large portions of crap. I think that if I can find the time to start posting here a little more regularly, that will help me with my progress.

On that note, I think I'm going to take a little walk while I still have some time left on my lunch break.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to have lots of low points snacks in the house to satisfy my hunger cravings. I have to eat when I am hungry or I will not do this for a lifetime.

Great post!