Monday, April 07, 2008

getting better

One of the reasons that I decided to make a move last fall and apply for my current job was the pace of the old one. In order to keep up with things, I found myself going into the office up to 2 hours early each day, working through lunches and spending chunks of my Saturdays catching up. Of course, the Saturday catchup only happened on weekends when I wasn't already working, either on site or somewhere else between Ottawa and Toronto.

My current job has a much more sane work load and it's only busy (really really busy like I mentioned above) a couple of times during the year. This is one of the times of the year that it's busy. I don't mind having to do this once in a while because I know that it's not an all the time thing. Being away from the insanity for 3 months though, really made me "soft" so to speak. The longer hours I've worked the past week has thrown me for a small bit of a loop.

Looking back at it now, I realize how lucky I was to make that move. I truly like my job again. In my last role, I loved the work and my team but the pace was crazy. At the moment, I'm on a great team, doing work that is really interesting and I'm not exhausted all of the time. I really appreciate this because it is allowing me the time I need to take care of myself.

I'm glad that I kicked myself in the ass last fall and did this for myself. I feel like I have the time again (not maybe this week) to truly devote to taking better care of myself and my family and that is worth more than all of the money in the world.

No comments: