Tuesday, August 26, 2008

new shoes & ice cream cones

I can report that I’m definitely being more thoughtful in my food choices. I really think about each meal and what I’m consuming before I do it. Over the past week, I feel that I’ve done well overall on cutting back on my portions, on reducing the amount of salt and fat I’m ingesting and on increasing the amount of water I’m drinking.

I cannot say that I’ve been completely “good” last week, well over the weekend anyway. On the weekend, I had some chips, some dip, an ice cream cone and a couple of hot dogs. Honestly though, I did think about what I was doing – it was not mindless eating. I also tried to offset the extra calories with either a little more exercise or a by eating less later on. This isn’t ideal, I understand this, it is what it is though. It’s life for now. I keep talking to myself about small changes and I think that is what is going to work for me in the long run.

This week is going pretty well so far. I’ve realized that it’s time for me to buy some new shoes. I’ve been wearing flip flops and sandals all summer. This past week, I was doing some extra walking and realized that I really need a new pair of walking shoes. It’s been a long time since I have splurged on my feet and I want to invest in something that will be comfortable and make me want to keep walking. The dog park we go to has a large track and I’d really like to start walking that. We go there pretty much every night so it’s a good opportunity for me to get some serious walking in, rather than the meandering stuff I do when I’m playing with the dog.

So that may be this weekend’s project, get new shoes. If you all have any suggestions for a good walking shoe I’d love to hear them. I have a wide foot and am pretty heavy right now so I’ll need something that is pretty sturdy. I know that it’s not going to be easy, walking that track, because I’m really out of shape. At the moment, I’m so sick of being this out of shape that I’m actually excited about exercising regularly again. Feeling like a giant slug is not a good thing. I can actually remember how good it felt to get into the habit of exercising almost every day (like I did way back at the beginning of this whole thing) and I want to have that in my life again!

2 comments:

neca said...

I have wide feet as well. I've always had very good luck with New Balance - they come in a veriety of widths and they are very sturdy - great if you are heavier than the average waif runner. :-)

Shrinking Girl said...

Thanks for that tip Neca! My hunny got a pair earlier in the year and he's liking them. I may give them a try too.