Sunday, December 31, 2006

happy happy

the past two weeks have flown by in a bit of a blur of holiday shopping, baking, visits and lots of doing nothing.

The "shopping = walking" fitness program continued sporadically until around the 22nd or so. We weren't planning on doing much shopping for the holidays this year but even when you decide not to spend a tonne of money, it still take several trips out and about to get the non-expensive things that you've decided on. I also spent an entire day wrapping all of the stuff that we were cutting back on. It all looked gorgeous when it was done and I think it was all unwrapped, in a heap on the floor, in less than 10 minutes.
aftermath

My baking turned out really well this year. I stuck to cookies, which I am very good at and left squares and pies and candy to those who have those skills. My attempts at these are always underwhelming. One of the nice things about my cookies too is, even though there is sugar in them, I use things like unbleached flour, soy milk, and non-hydrogenated margarine. The only pound of butter I purchase all year is used in my shortbread, everything else gets the margarine and I had no complaints. I'm not fooling myself into thinking that cookies which are full of skor bits or white chocolate chunks are actually healthy but at least I know exactly what is in them!
Chewy Coconut Cookies

I baked literally hundreds of cookies. This year I had enough for 9 really large plates and one big hamper of cookies (the hamper when to my folks the plates to friends and other family members). We had just enough cookies left over at home that we should run out later today. Last year, I think I was chucking them out after January 1 because we didn't get to see as many folks as we'd planned.

The week after Christmas was sort of weird. My hunny was sick over the holidays. Finally on Friday, he felt well enough to go back to work but he missed Wednesday and Thursday due an allergic reaction he had to some new prescription medication. Since he's been diagnosed as diabetic, he's been taking metformin in addition to some cholesterol lowering meds. He was first diagnosed with high cholesterol in December 2002. When his new doctor discovered the diabetes, she switched him to a new cholesterol medicine and it's been working well. Combined with good changes in his diet and eating habits, he's got his numbers for both well under control. There's a good chance that with some more weight loss, he could dump the meformin. Anyway, because he's diabetic, she's been really watching his blood pressure. His BP is good for a non-diabetic person but she felt that he should try some medication to lower it slightly because he is "borderline high" for a diabetic. The blood pressure meds made him so sick. He was having so much gas pain that he didn't sleep for almost three days. Fortunately, we figured it out on Christmas Day and he stopped taking the meds (he was taking them at bedtime). He got into see his doctor on the 27th and she agreed that he had a bad reaction and will let that go for a while. He was so sick that I thought seriously about taking him to the hospital a couple of times. Thankfully, he's sleeping well again and is feeling better. It was pretty horrible, not only being sick but feeling crappy over the holidays always seems so much worse somehow.

For New Years Eve, I'll be home, he'll be working this evening. This isn't such a big deal for me though. I always feel like Labour Day is New Years. When school starts, it's like the year starts for me. I still have another entire week of vacation left. All I really have planned is some housework, packing away the holiday decorations, cleaning, that sort of thing...and seeing some friends before we all get back to work again.

With the start of 2007, I hope to clean up my routine again. I've been working on it over the holidays. I'm definitely drinking more water (and I can see the difference in my skin). The eating hasn't been great but I've been working hard on not snaking in the evenings because that is something I struggle with. I know I ate way too much spinach dip and too many cookies (not together!) over the past couple of weeks but lucky for me, we're fresh out of spinach dip and the cookies are almost gone so I shouldn't have too much trouble getting my act back together. The exercise part might be a bit trickier but I have some plans for this week too.

So, expect to see me posting here with a little more regularity than I have been. Writing here helps me keep focused on being nice to myself. Here's hoping that 2007 is a happy, healthy year for all of us!!

4 comments:

...jus me said...

Sorry your husband has had such a time of it. Some meds are worse than what you take them for. It's a shame that his holidays were spent feeling crappy! I am diabetic also. My blood sugars have never been too high. Just enough to say I am diabetic. Between the metformin and the healthy eating they are only about 85 to 95 first thing in the morning. Eating healthy makes a big difference. So does any form of exercise. Have a great new year.

Teena in Toronto said...

I'm getting back on track again as of tomorrow. I was way too social in December ... but it was fun :)

Anonymous said...

happy new year!

and if u need 2 get rid of the cookies to make it a little easier o yourself then please send them my way!

neca said...

Welcome back! :-)