Thursday, March 23, 2006

not good news

I haven't had a lot of time to be in front of the computer this week.

LOG is back in the hospital and this time, we're not sure that he's going to bounce back. He's had a cold for a couple of weeks now and at the beginning of this week, it developed into pneumonia. This isn't good. The oxygen levels in his blood are very very low. He's not really conscious but they are pumping him full of anti-biotics and keeping him on oxygen. He's not on a ventilator but he's really struggling. We're not sure how long he'll hang on like this. There is also a concern that if the anti-biotics do their thing and knock the pneumonia, that he'll have suffered some permanent brain damage because of the low oxygen.

Waiting and seeing is all we can do right now. I've been going into the office for a few hours here and there. It keeps my mind off of things for a little while any. Fortunately, the hospital is directly across the street from my office so that does make things easier.

When LOG first moved to town and got set up in his little apartment, I got him a plant. The plant lived in a really sunny spot and it thrived. It quickly out grew it's tiny pot and I had to repot it for him. When he moved into our house, the plant continued to do well and we kept it in his bedroom for him. Last summer, when LOG moved into the long-term care facility, the plant moved with him. It had a fabulous, sunny spot on his window sill. It was really huge and green and healthy looking.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that some of the leaves had started to turn yellow. On Monday, when we were there to visit him, I saw that someone had pruned the plant for LOG. They had really cut it back and it was down to one or two small vines. Last night as I lay in bed thinking about all kinds of things to do with this particular situation, I remembered the plant and how it seemed really connected to LOG. When he was healthy, the plant thrived. Now, that he's not doing so well, the plant isn't either. It's probably just a really strange coincidence but it's been on my mind a lot.

I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to post again but I really wanted to pop in and let you all know what was going on.

No comments: