Saturday, March 25, 2006

survived

savoy cabbage


I think that all of three of us feel like survivors right now. LOG seems to have gotten through this latest serious illness without any permanent damage and we both got through it, somehow.

Last week, the pair of us were really sick with the flu. This week, what with the all-nighter in the emerge we've been getting through in a zombie like fashion. We've worked when we can, slept whenever possible, spent a huge chunk of the small amount of time that we get at home, on the phone, giving folks updates. There is also the issue of food. Ah food, wouldn't life be easier if we didn't have to deal with that? We've basically survived on sandwiches and take out. It's not been good, at all. Yesterday afternoon, we both quit work at mid-day and went to the hospital. After we visited LOG, we took a run to Costco. It felt good to be stocking up on salad, veggies, healthy stuff for sandwiches, cereal, staples really. Stuff we'd let run down between us being sick and then not being home. Today, we're planning to spend some time at the hospital and then taking a run to Produce Town. We need a few more odds and ends of stuff we couldn't get yesterday.

I also hope to carve out a few hours of "me" time today. My legs and feet have been absolutely killing me over the past few days and I know that my shoes are worn out. Both my everyday work shoes and my black runners (that I wear constantly). There is a Payless almost right across the street from Produce Town so I plan to pop in there for a bit. I also plan to soak in the tub for an hour before we go anywhere. Right now, I'm just waiting for my hunny to wake up. He needs the sleep and I don't want to start filling the tub and wake him up.

I had to laugh a little yesterday. A lovely woman I work with asked me if I'd lost more weight (she knew about my efforts earlier in the year and noticed the results). I was honest with her, told her that we'd been eating crap and that I hadn't been on a scale in a while but was sure that it had gone the other way. She disagreed and said that it looked to her like I was down a little more but I'm sure I'm not. At this moment, I just cannot bring myself to find out for sure and step on the scale. Maybe on Monday but not today.

Now that LOG is mending, we can take some time and try to mend ourselves, rest up, recharge, eat good food, be nice to ourselves basically. Goodness knows we haven't done much of that this week.

No comments: