Thursday, May 05, 2005

day 8 - little victories

The past week has been full of tiny victories. Of course, at times, I slipped up but overall, it's been going well. This is not an official "wrap up" but I wanted to share some non-scale victories with you. These things have happened over the past couple of days:

- yesterday, I had a meeting in the building next door, where the cafeteria is located. On my way over I thought, "I'm going to have a coffee and a muffin -- I'm caffeine deprived and a little hungry, it'll be a great treat." When I actually got there, everything looked and smelled really good but my treat ended up being a Diet Coke with Lime.

- last night, the LOG wanted to go out for dinner. When we got to the restaurant, they were having an "all you can eat" rib night. They smelled terrific, looked really great on other people's tables but I didn't give in. I had a big salad and shared some fajitas with my hunny. I really loaded mine up with veggies, a much better choice, I think, than ribs!

- this morning, again, I was craving a coffee / muffin combo. I almost gave into it too. Afterall, I had been so "good" yesterday, didn't I "deserve" it?? I sat myself down, talked myself out it and had another cup of herbal tea. It didn't take long for the craving to pass.

Now, I should not even be having these kinds of conversations with myself, but the truth is, I do. Or I am. I hope to not be. I do know that I am consuming more calories the past few days than I normally would but I'm allowing myself more healthy snacks at work to help keep these bad cravings in check. It seems to be working and I'd rather have a handful of mini-rice cakes than a big chocolate bar.

This morning I stepped back onto the scale. After seeing that horrible, terrible, ridiculous number on the weekend, I was a little gun shy about looking again. Today's number was a much kinder, considerate number. I'm sure now that the inflated number I saw the other day was caused by some serious water retention. Hopefully, I'll be back into that elusive virgin fat territory sometime soon. With the weight I gained recently, I'm about 9 pounds away from that marker.

*fingers crossed* If I work the plan, the plan should work!!

No comments: