Tuesday, May 31, 2005

back to basics

Slowly, my bloat is disappearing. I have been drinking a crazy amount of water over the past week (partly because we got a new fridge at home with a filtered water / crushed ice dispenser - yum!). Usually, once TOM starts, my bloat slowly fades away and by the time it's done, I'm back to normal. This month though, I'm guessing because of the move and all, the water never left me. I'm forcing it out though, all of this water has me running to the loo, a lot. My hands already feel MUCH better and my ankles are starting to look normal-ish again too. Boy, moving is hard on a body.

Our routine at home is slowly resuming. We had a great barbecue yesterday and I ate well under my allotted calories. My plan for now is to eat my usual breakfast and lunch (the same things I usually have when I'm working -- they are very filling, well-balanced and low fat meals) and then I'm not going to worry too much about dinner. As long as we're eating at home, things cannot get too far out of control. Last night, for example, we had a HUGE meal and when I counted everything up, I was still okay. That's the nice thing about pigging out on grilled veggies, isn't it?

Exercise wise, I'm not doing any other intentional exercise than unpacking and moving boxes around. Trust me, that's a workout in itself. Last night, I finally pulled my summer clothes out, packed the sweaters away and created (in the process) a massive pile of ironing for myself. I must have made 6 or 7 trips up and down the stairs, going back and forth from the laundry room (I still can't believe that I have a proper laundry room!!!) to our bedroom, within about 30 minutes. It didn't totally kill me so I mustn't be as bad off as I thought before.

I stepped on the scales again this morning and sure enough, I saw a downward progression. I know it's just water weight but that's okay. The number I saw yesterday was ridiculously high (up 23 pounds in 3 weeks!!) and I'm sure that I'll be showing a more reasonable gain from our pre-move-stress-related-eat-fest by the weekend. I mean, I figured I'd gained about 5 to 7 pounds but never 23!! That number has to be whacked. At least now, it's showing as 18 pounds up. To show a five pound loss over night, you know I'm losing a lot of fluid right now.

The long and the short of it is that I'm feeling better (still not as rested as I'd like but you can't have everything all at once) today. By the weekend I should be feeling like my old self again and I'll be able to face my bike again. Of course, I'll have to find it amongst the boxes in the basement but I have a good idea of where it is. For the moment, it's all good folks!

No comments: