Monday, May 02, 2005

day 5 - howdy

There will be no regular Monday update this week. As I restarted on Thursday, I don't have a whole week to report on. I can update you on the weekend though and today so far. Excited?? You should be!

The weekend did not go as well as I had hoped. Friday was a good food day but Saturday and Sunday were not terrific. Friday at work, we had our monthly birthday party thing. I usually organize them so this month, instead of cake, I picked up a fruit tray and some cookies (for the folks who think it's not a party without something baked!). That night, we had a terrific, home cooked meal at home. Such a treat! The rest of the weekend was kind of weird.

We slept in a bit on Saturday morning and I woke up craving (big time craving) a McDonald's BLT Bagel. It's disgusting, I know, but once in a while, I crave them. After I dropped my hunny off at work, I headed out to the west end to do some grocery shopping. As I drove, I kept thinking about that sandwich. On my way to the store, I zoomed by many golden arches but didn't stop. By the time I had finished shopping, they had stopped serving "breakfast" and I couldn't do anything about it. I was so relieved and pleased with myself. It was not an indulgence I needed to make on my first "back to basics" weekend.

I wish I could say that I "behaved" for the rest of the day but I ended up devouring an entire bag of baked doritos and a mars bar. Don't ask. For dinner that night, I made a big salad but we had it with hot dogs. Hey, baby steps, right?

So yesterday, we had to vacate the house between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. for an inspection. We decided to take LOG to breakfast. After breakfast, we'd drop him home "early" and then head to a movie. Breakfast turned into a huge mess. The restaurant was a place we used to go quite frequently but hadn't been in a while. LOG and I had gone there for lunch last weekend and enjoyed a really nice meal so my hunny wanted to check it out again. Sadly, the kitchen was in the shits because of a huge group that had come in before we did. When we sat down, I noticed that they were getting their food so I figured "no problem." It ended up being a huge problem, they were serving food to that big table for 45 minutes. By the time our food arrived (about 55 minutes after we had ordered), it was overcooked and cold. Hard to imagine how that could happen. Fortunately, LOG's was fine so he scarfed it down and we took him home (neither of us could eat what they gave us and we know enough about restaurants from our own experience to know that nothing edible was going to come our way). By this time, we had missed our movie. In addition to being hungry, we were now pissed off.

So, angry and hungry, we go to a Chinese buffet. Can you see where this is going?? Yeah, not pretty. It could have been much worse, I had a lot of veggies and tofu but still, it wasn't the meal I had planned for myself. When eventually we got to the movie, we had popcorn (luckily I spilled half of mine on the floor). At 8 p.m. last night, we ate dinner. It felt like all we did from 1 to 8 p.m. yesterday was eat. Gross huh??

Today is going much better. I even worked out, only 30 minutes instead of my normal 45 to 60 but it's a good start. Oh, I weighed myself on Saturday and was completely disgusted with the number. I'm not even going to mention how much I gained last week because I have a feeling that it's a bizarre water retention inflated number. I did record it though and it's in my head right now. It's not a number I ever want to see again but I've made my peace with it. This week will be so much better than last week was, there is no way that it can't be.

I promise that next week, the regular Monday update section will return.

No comments: