Thursday, December 01, 2005

loving the pangs

Some folks don't eat breakfast at all. I used to be one of them. I'd skip breakfast, have a small lunch and then eat a huge dinner. This is one of the many contributing factors to my fat. When I started to get serious about losing weight, way back in January 2003, I started eating breakfast, healthy, well-balanced, satisfying. Recently, like since we moved into our new house, so since May I guess, I've continued to eat breakfast but, I have been eating way too much breakfast. I swapped my measured bowl of sensible cereal and fresh fruit for toast, lots of it sometimes, toasted bread or bagels. The toasted bread product would be topped (of course) with any variety of not-so-sensible things that were either full of fat, or sugar or (heavens forbid!) both. This morning, I put an end to that. I had my normal, sensible, healthy cereal / fruit / juice / soy milk breakfast. By mid-morning, I could feel mild pangs of hunger and I knew that I was on the right track. I sipped some water, ate an orange (mmmm...clementines) and carried on with my morning.

Right now, as I type, I'm eating my lunch. Packed at home, well-balanced, nutritious. Also, I've recorded every morsel of food I've eaten so far today into my fitday journal. A couple of weeks back, I re-started the fitday thing and quickly abandoned it. I should never do that, seriously. Whenever I'm journaling food, even if I'm eating too much some days, I makes me concentrate on what I'm doing. It's such a common sense thing. I know that I abandon it because not recording what I'm eating gives me free reign to just go nuts and stop caring. As I wrote yesterday, I'm through not caring. If I don't care enough about myself to eat healthy foods and try to get fit, who will care?? Don't get me wrong, I know that some of you would care quite a bit but I'm the only one who is in a position to do anything about it.

So, I think I have a handle on the eating thing. Cautiously optimistic is I guess how I'd put it right now. Starting this on the same day that my period starts is probably a good thing. I mean, the PMS would explain the bad food choices of last week and I'll take the cramps and general yucky feeling that I've got right and use them to help me control my eating. The exercise thing will come too. I found my WATP DVD's on the weekend and I actually sat on my bike for a few minutes on the weekend (and even pedalled a bit!). So, so far, so good, new month, new start, blah blah blah...I've got my planned worked out, now I just need to work the plan!

No comments: