Thursday, September 08, 2005

journaling

Fitday is once again my friend. I had stopped journaling a while ago. With my recent restart (late July? early August? ...I've restarted so many times I can't keep track) I told myself that I could just watch what I ate and that I knew how to do that without journaling my meals. Yeah, okay...I do know what to eat, what's too much, what's balanced. Sad thing is, without the graphs and pie-charts, I don't do it. I need to see the numbers in front of me. Those numbers, total calories, percentages of carbs, fat, protein...they keep me honest. For the past two days (and today, so far - that's three - whoohoo), journaling has kept me on track.

Last night, I didn't have to make a decision about dinner as LOG wasn't feeling up to going out. While I was not happy to hear that he didn't feel so good, I was relieved to know that we'd be having dinner at home. Dinner at home is so much safer, easier, more controlled. Not to mention that I think we've been eating out entirely too much lately. The dinner has been put off until Friday now (tomorrow night we have to meet the furnace guy at the house right after work). I'm hoping that by Friday, I'll be able to come up with some fun / healthy idea for where we can dine. In the culinary wasteland that is the town I live in, this is not an easy thing to do.

File under NSV:

Now that I'm officially (hey, it is day three after all) back on plan, I can start reporting on fun little NSVs again. Yesterday morning at work, we had a big departmental meeting. There is usually food at these things and I was pleasantly surprised to walk into the room and not see a table full of coffee and muffins. About half-way through the meeting, the food arrived and everyone took a break to go "help themselves." Lucky for me, they had bottled water (yay). I grabbed one for myself and my buddy and totally ignored the yummy looking muffins and thick slices of loaf (looked like spice / fruit or something -- it smelled very good) and those little packets of whipped butter. Feeling quite proud of myself, sipping on my water, I watched a presentation. After the folks presenting it were done, they handed out chocolate bars to everyone. Why do people do this??? Mine was a kitkat. I love kitkats. When the meeting was over, I gave mine back to the presenter and grabbed a second bottle of water. Saying "no" to a muffin or a chocolate bar shouldn't be a big deal. Yesterday though, it was and I'm glad I did it. I'm really looking forward to the day when it's not a big deal anymore.

No comments: