Thursday, June 23, 2005

hey

This is turning out to be a crazy week. I knew that it would be nuts at the office because there are a bunch of events happening this week but I had no idea that life at home would get topsy turvy too.

We spent all of Monday afternoon and evening at the emergency room with LOG. We really shouldn't have been there but his doctor sent us down. The first weekend we were in the house, he slipped in the shower and banged his shoulder pretty bad on his shower chair. The reason it happened was because we hadn't put the rubber mat into the tub yet. He got up early, before we were around, and got into the shower, not realizing that we hadn't done it. When he went to get up, he slipped and fell back. The result was that he was pretty stiff and sore but, luckily, no bones were broken. Now, he has a bad back (the result of a car accident he was in about 10 years ago) and this obviously aggravated it. Because of the pain, he stopped moving around as much as he had been, he wasn't eating much and he became very constipated. As you can imagine, this just added to his pain. Last week, the doctor came to see him and prescribed him morphine. MORPHINE!! Without x-rays, to a constipated man. Anyway, Monday, the doctor told me to take him to emerge for an enema. Fun huh?? He's feeling a bit better now but still not 100% so things at home are, um, let's just say tense. He's not feeling well, we're overtired and cranky and basically, LOG is a lazy guy who would rather we wait on him hand and foot than get up and try to move around (which I know helps because I have the odd bout of back pain myself) to loosen things up and actually feel better. We didn't get home on Monday until around 10 p.m. and we still had to be up at 4 a.m. on Tuesday so, the last couple of days we've been dragging our butts. It's been really difficult for us. I'm telling ya though, LOG is the poster boy for why you should look after yourself when you're younger. He's a mess and much of it is down to atrophy. I could go on but won't!!

So, looking after one's self. I rode again yesterday morning. This week I'm shooting for Monday-Wednesday-Friday to ease myself back into it. Yesterday was a little harder on me than Monday had been. I don't know if that's because I was so tired. I actually felt really crappy yesterday. I was at a workshop all day on Tuesday and I think I picked up an air conditioning cold. Ordinarily, I'm not that bothered by A/C but we were in a big ballroom and the temperature was frosty. I've been cold ever since. I just cannot warm up and that's why I think I picked up some kind of a cold. It's so weird. I know I'm a little run down too. I can't imagine what a mess I would be if I weren't taking my vitamins and trying to eat well.

Speaking of eating, it's been a pretty good week so far. I'm still not tracking but am doing okay. At the workshop on Tuesday, I ate some things I wouldn't normally (like cookies for afternoon break -- they were soooo good) but at lunch I had a lot of veggies and fruit so it balanced out. They actually had the best roasted veggie sandwich, I really enjoyed it. The salad was fresh and gorgeous and the fruit was okay. Some of it wasn't ripe but that's to be expected in these places.

Today I'm going to our office's annual barbecue. It's at our VP's cottage, east of the city. It's a gorgeous spot, on the river and it'll be nice to get away from the office for an afternoon but it could be a healthy eating challenge. Luckily I'm going with a weight-loss buddy so we'll help keep each other on the straight and narrow!

No comments: