Saturday, August 05, 2006

better than I thought I would

Yesterday was a good day. The weather was much nicer than it had been all day and I actually felt like I was productive at work. On Tuesday and Wednesday, when it was so hot, I had a difficult time concentrating, particularly in the afternoon when the air conditioning ceased to be effective.

At lunch yesterday (when I would normally post here), I sat outside with a friend, on a bench under a tree and enjoyed the breeze. All invigorated from a productive day and a pleasant lunch hour, on the ride home from work, I sort of decided that I would tackle some long overdue yard work before dinner. This morning, looking back on it, I'm very glad that I did because now, this morning, I don't have to worry about. I'm not sure what I was thinking though.

I started out on the shady side of the house, pulling weeds from the crack between where the driveway meets the house. That didn't go too badly so I moved around to the front of the house. I was getting pretty hot and feeling a little light headed around the time I was 1/2 done the front of the house. I took a little break, sat down in the shade in the backyard and decided to just suck it up and finish what I'd started. Somewhere between the lawn chair and the front of the house, I decided that I should prune this overgrown tree too. By the time I got that done and bagged everything up for the composting centre, I was literally loopy from the heat. My hands were shaking and I was really dizzy. Luckily, there was a gatorade in the back of the fridge so I sat down in the living room and slowly sipped on that.

I realize now that I was only working for about 45 minutes. My ass was kicked in an unbelievably harsh way. After a little while, I felt a bit better so I decided to go in the pool to cool down. What a difference that made, I felt a million times better. I got my appetite back, we had a late dinner and I felt pretty good. The heat must have caught up with me though because about 45 minutes after dinner, I was sick as a dog. Again I felt really weak and dizzy and ended up going to bed sort of early-ish.

For the first time in several days, I slept like the dead last night. When I woke up this morning, I felt so much better. I actually feel pretty normal and the front and side yards look terrific. There is still some weeding to do in the back but it's mostly shaded out there and if it doesn't get done, no one but us will know. Because of the weather lately, the weeds in the front of the house were growing like crazy and the place was looking pretty trashy. At least now, while not perfectly groomed and landscaped, it no longer looks like we're totally white trash anymore.

As far as the fitness stuff goes this weekend, I'm not too worried. We have several of our meals already planned out and have scheduled another trip to the produce market. We also have several activities planned which don't involve food so I'm not too worried about mindless snacking. I feel like we're back into a routine now with our healthy eating, in another couple of weeks it'll be like we've always been doing this. I'm feeling really positive about it all right now so that's something very good.

3 comments:

Twisted Cinderella said...

eating lunch outside sounds wonderful. And it so helpful to be in a good routine eating wise. I find that when I don't have a good routine that is when the mindless snacking happens.

As for the yard work. Good for you for getting it done, but you should be careful. I would hate for bad things to happen because you got heatstroke.

Kathryn said...

It doesn't take much to knock you around when it's really hot. Glad to hear you recovered okay :)

Anonymous said...

Ah yes! Yardwork! The great scurge of the earth!

Actually yard work has been my exercise for the weeks leading up to the delivery of my Bowflex (tomorrow!) so I guess I shouldn't put it down.

Here in Tennessee (US) it has just been SO HOT AND HUMID! Ugh!

Keep on keeping on!

Adam