Monday, December 27, 2004

day 56 - neighbourhood excitement

Right now, as I type this, the police are across the street (and down a few houses), surrounding the home of one of our neighbours. We had a call about 20 minutes from a friend who heard that some guy on our street has himself barracaded in the house with a 9mm gun and some grenades. From our bathroom window we can see the police going from their cars to the house and back again but not much else. I really hope that no one is hurt tonight. Whatever is going on, it's kind of scary.

Christmas was nice and, fortunately, not that exciting. Actually it was a very nice day. We stayed up kind of late on Christmas eve. I got to feeling a little better (finally) so I did a little more baking (just one more batch of cookies) while we watched "Bad Santa" (which was bad but in a good way). I had a little bit of wrapping to finish up Christmas morning but that was okay, we didn't have to be at my mum's until later in the afternoon.

My brother and his girlfriend arrived mid-afternoon (from Ottawa) and we had a really nice visit with them and my parents. The meal was terrific and I really didn't pig out. We had eaten a light brunch at home, mid-morning so overall, the caloric consumption for the day wasn't terrible at all.

Yesterday was a good day too, foodwise. We went out of town to my aunt & uncle's for a Boxing Day Open House. There was tonnes of food (and mucho sweets) but basically, I ate very well. I piled up my plate with raw veggies and some smoked turkey and pickles. Again, I think I did pretty good.

Last week, when I was sick and in the throes of PMS, and the last week I worked, were a bit of a wash out. I didn't record my meals and, although I drank gallons of water, I really wasn't careful about anything. It would have been easy to do the same thing today. My period started and the cramps had me rolled up in a ball, with the heating pad (seriously, they are never THAT bad) all afternoon. I could have used that as an excuse to pig out but I didn't. I feel good about that.

This morning, I felt really brave (and a little scared) and stepped on the scale. Honestly, I expected to have gained 15 pounds, maybe more. I had gained but it was a 6 pound gain. I was relieved and vowed to do better this week. Today was a pretty good eating day. I won't say it was perfectly clean because I did have a couple of Christmas cookies after dinner tonight but it was much better than it had been last week. I know that I'll be able to re-lose that 6 pounds and get seriously back into things and I don't have to wait until January 1 to do it. I hit the grocery store this morning and picked up some seriously healthy snacks and stuff. I'm definitely back on the right track again. Thank goodness!!

No comments: