Monday, February 06, 2006

thank goodness it's Monday!

This weekend was a struggle, let me tell you.

Friday night, things started out well. We had a lovely healthy home-made dinner. It was delicious, I did the no-evening snacking thing, not even a piece of fruit. I felt great and thought, "okay, this weekend will be easy!"

HA! Easy!? Crap!! LOG is not doing well these days and it's taking it's toll on us. My hunny particularly is stressing about the situation, big time. He really wanted to go out on a binge on Saturday. We went to visit LOG and the poor fellow kept falling asleep mid-sentence. It was a little upsetting for my hunny, seeing his dad like that. When we left the nursing home, I pulled my "to do" list out. We aren't usually out and about so early on Saturday morning and I wanted to take advantage of it.

We went to the pasta place to get some fresh spinach pasta and some whole wheat pasta. After that, instead of moving the car, we took a walk to the next couple of places we needed to go. I thought that the fresh air and exercise might snap my hunny out of his funk. When we got back to the car and were figuring out our next stop, I asked him what he wanted to do about something to eat (we'd not had breakfast yet and it was fast approaching lunch). He joked about devouring the McD's drive thru but I wouldn't agree to that. Instead, we did a couple more errands and ended up at this buffet place for lunch. It was a compromise, he could have something "bad" but in a small portion and we could also get huge salads there. Of course, once we got there, we both ate too much. So much that we decided that the fresh pasta, salmon and asparagus dinner we'd planned for that evening wouldn't be happening.

Later on that day, we had to go out again to replace our cable modem. While we were out, we had "the dinner discussion." Neither of us were actually hungry so we kept suggesting and then saying no to different restaurant suggestions. As a compromise, after we had been to the cable store, I suggested that we stop at the drug store. I needed to pick up a couple of things and we could buy something really decadent for a treat. I don't know why I was feeling so "bad" but I was. We get to the store, I pick up the items I need and then we go to the chips / cookies / candy section. I muse over the chocolate bars, wander past the cookies. Nothing interested me. I met my hunny at the chip aisle and was immediately drawn to the baked section. We ended up getting some Sun Chips and I got a tootsie roll. In the end, much later that day (like around 8 p.m. -- which is really late for us to eat) we made wraps for dinner and munched on some of the chips. It's weird, I was craving salt and chocolate and TOM was almost over. Delayed PMS?? Temporary Insanity?? I'm not sure.

Yesterday, we hibernated. There was a storm brewing outside and we decided to stay home. For breakfast, we had salad and scrambled eggs and some sauteed portabello mushrooms... I had a turkey sausage too. It was really good, super filling. No need for lunch...right? Um, wrong! Popcorn for lunch sounds good, afterall, we are vegging out in front of the tv. I'm not sure what happened but the popcorn just made us more hungry. The lovely loaf of multigrain bread I baked on Friday night was the next target. Toast anyone?? Yikes. My stomach hurts just thinking about this. Eventually we stopped nibbling but seriously, it was a snacking nightmare.

When the dust settled, I counted up my calories. I was shocked to see that I stayed within my range. I was at the highest end I could be at but still, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I don't expect to see a loss this week, given that performance but hey, it could have been much worse:

1. I could have said "hell yes, McD's it is!!"
2. I could have gone to the bulk barn and bought a huge-ass bag of chocolate covered almonds instead of the tootsie roll (single)
3. I could have bought chips and dip instead of smart pop microwave popcorn
4. I could have ordered pizza for dinner last night
5. I could have made my toast from nutrient free white bread

See, some of the choices I made weren't horrible but I made a deal with myself. If I'm going to go "off track" it can only happen for one day and it'll only happen once a month. Sound fair? We'll see. In the meantime, here's a photo of pears:
pears

No comments: