Monday, April 26, 2004

not missing in action

I'm still here. I really really am!! I wanted to post a couple of different times over the weekend but never had an opportunity to. We've been really busy this weekend (yes, I'm still on a long weekend -- I booked off today and tomorrow). I wish I could say that we went away to somewhere exotic and sunny where folks waited on us hand and foot. Alas, this was not the case.

If I hadn't mentioned it before, I certainly meant to...my hunny's dad (aka the "Little Old Guy") has moved in with us. We've spent the past several weekends getting the house ready for him. Actually, we've been working on it on and off pretty much since we asked him to move in, last November. We had to empty our guest bedroom, throw out tonnes of junk, finish the renos on our bathroom and add some safety equipment to our shower. The stuff on our end is pretty much done and we've spent the past 3 days moving him. On Saturday, my mum helped me pack up his kitchen. As he won't be needing any of his kitchen stuff, we have donated it all to the Knights of Columbus garage sale that happens at my mum's church. We had so much stuff by the time we were done packing that we filled a full quarter of my folks' huge garage with boxes and stuff.

Tonight, we got his furniture into the house. Much of what he had, he has sold but there were a few large items that he's keeping. He a wall unit in his dining room that we've taken (so tomorrow I'll be emptying our current crappy shelves and moving his into place), he has his bedroom furniture (which is huge and heavy and ugly -- hey, it was bought in the 80's and is faux-wood - not even veneer, it's quite gross but he likes it so....). He's got a new bed on order so he's sleeping on our old bed (it'll get chucked when the new one is delivered). Right now, the house looks like a bit of a disaster but I could actually put my hands on anything he's looking for within 5 minutes, if I had to. Aside from the furniture and a few dishes, he basically had 3 boxes of "stuff" and his clothes. He and I are going to sort through it as we unpack though. I threw a lot of stuff out on his end, I'm sure I'll be able to get him into "clean sweep" fever as we put stuff away.

So, basically since Friday, I've been packing or cleaning or packing and cleaning or moving and packing and cleaning. It's been busy and physically, I'm exhausted. Emotionally, I'm a little nervous. We're giving up some of our privacy in exchange for some peace of mind (he's had some health problems over the past couple of years and it was getting to be a big worry for us, thinking about him living alone). I'm sure it'll all work out, right now, it's just a little tense. We're all tired and crabby. I know after a few days, it'll be fine.

My eating has not been stellar but I'm getting LOTS of exercise. I had a good weigh-in on Saturday, I was down a pound and felt quite good about that. I'll be really happy once the house is settled again and we get into a proper routine again. In the meantime, I'm just happy to not be gaining weight and to be feeling good about myself.

No comments: