Wednesday, August 17, 2005

french fry challenge

It occurred to me this morning that I had not eaten a french fry in almost 3 weeks. This might not seem like a big deal but considering how often we eat out (although for the past few weeks, we've not eaten out nearly as much as we had been doing) and how much "access" to them I have, you should be impressed. I've decided to see how long I can go without indulging. They are one of my big time trigger foods, particularly when they are smothered in ketchup. I'd like to see if I can go an entire year without them. If I can get through a whole year, I'm hoping that I will never want one again. How neat would that be?

I came to the sickening realization this morning that I'd only lost three pounds since January. 3 sickly, pathetic pounds. I've been up and down like a rollercoaster throughout the bulk of 2005. Now, I have lots of excuses (the whole house buying / selling / moving thing alone caused me to go off the rails in a big way) but that's all they are, excuses. If I'd been more committed, more serious, it wouldn't have happened. All I can do now is keep at it. The Saturday pizza incident, a little bit of a chocolate and a few cookies are all that separate me from an otherwise decent past three weeks. If I can just get rid of my cookie craving, I'd be doing something. The salt thing seems to be under control. I'm no longer longing for doritos or chips and dip (another big trigger food) so that's something. The sweet tooth is another beast entirely though and something I know I will struggle with forever. If I give into a little bit, every once in a while though, I should avoid a binge.

In other news, I got back on the bike again. The pain in my foot / ankle / leg was gone this morning and I did a quick 5K on the bike. Not as long or as far as I would have liked to go but it's something.

No comments: