Monday, August 08, 2005

salt and food

It's feeling like we're really back into the groove again. My hunny seriously restarted with me last week, well, actually, it feels more like I'm restarting with him. Either way, it's so good because he's cooking again, really cooking. As you all know, he's a classically trained French chef and, in the past when I've tried to talk about fat-free or low-fat cooking, it's sometimes been a struggle. When one is used to cooking with heavy cream and butter and all of that other "bad" stuff that us low fat folks try to avoid, it's hard to break the habit.

He's been complaining for weeks now that he's too fat. Not something that you hear too often from a guy is it? All kidding aside, he has gained some weight over the summer months, we both have. I feel that way too. I mean, I know that I am fat but I've been feeling extraordinarily heavy just lately. I've always been heavier than he is but at the moment, I think we're pretty close (give or take 10 pounds). Last week, he finally found his inspiration somewhere and started using that new stove of ours. We've had lots of stuff that is steamed and grilled and even the other night when we had pasta for dinner, it was with chicken and lots of veggies and it was fresh whole wheat pasta from the shop around the corner (not to mention much smaller portions than we'd ordinarily have).

Now that he's cooking again, and we're off the take out / fast sandwich track, I'm noticing that a lot of my bloat is disappearing. The swollen ankles I've been suffering with all summer are pretty close to normal and I'm realizing now (yeah, because I'm an idiot) that it's a lack of salt in my diet this week. Salt. Fucker. So much of what we had been grabbing over the past few months has been processed or eaten in restaurants that I had lost all track of how much sodium I was consuming. I never thought of myself as being that salt sensitive but I now know that I am. I'm also feeling really great about the meals we're having at home. For one thing, they are delicious and tasty, for another, I know that they are super healthy and chock full of good stuff.

On Saturday morning, we visited a new grocery store just west of here and loaded up (and I do mean LOADED up) with produce. My hunny grilled a tonne of eggplant, habaneros and jalapenos and made this kind of smokey relish on the weekend and I picked up the ingredients for a non-dairy, low-fat version of caesar dressing. I found the recipe here via a link from DietGirl. It's an amazing site and I think that we'll be trying lots of their recipes in the near future. I'm loving that we've bought all of this good for us food and that we're actually eating it. That may sound silly but I know that you all know what I mean. You put it all away and then, when meal time comes around, either or both of you is too lazy/tired/whatever to do anything with it so you go out for a bite. Sound familiar?

The saving money thing is good too. When you're buying groceries and eating out all the time, it gets really expensive. I'm hoping that some of this money we're saving can go towards some new clothes. On my birthday, my mum gave me $100 to buy an outfit with and I still have it tucked away. As I promised many months ago, I have not bought any new clothes (except for some very much needed underpants a while ago) because I'm not a size smaller yet. I'm sticking to that and, I may not be able to buy anything until Christmas but I don't care. I need to change this, I need to get smaller and I want to feel better.

The changes we have made this week are helping enormously and I do feel better today than I did a week ago but I know that it's a slow process. I weighed myself this morning (and saw a 2 pound loss) and realized that I now weigh exactly what I weighed two years ago this week, when I was on my first way down. I had started in January 2003 and kept going until around November (that was my lowest weight to date). I'd like to pick up that momentum and be back into virgin fat by November. That's not totally unrealistic.

Right now, I'm happy that I've lost 2 pounds this week instead of gaining them. I'm also happy that my shoes and rings feel better, more comfortable (damn you salt!!) and that I finally got the energy together last night to do some weeding in the garden. I am feeling it, big time, in my legs and arms today but it's a good feeling. It's all good and as long as my hunny and I can keep propping each other I have a feeling that we'll both be a fair bit smaller before the holidays hit.

No comments: