Tuesday, August 16, 2005

hurting

Yesterday, I wore some new-ish shoes to work. I say "ish" because I bought them a year ago. They are just slip on, casual shoes, I bought a white pair and a khaki pair. The white pair are all broken in but the khaki ones, I'd only worn on one occasion. I knew that they might bug my feet so I bought a pair of old faithful type sandals too. About half way through the morning, I develop a blinding pain in my ankle, like I've twisted it (except I haven't) and can not put any weight on my left foot. I switched shoes when I got back to my desk but I spent the rest of the day hobbling around. The only time it felt remotely okay was when I'd have my shoes off. It even caused my whole leg to throb in pain. By the time I got to bed last night, I was a full-blown hurtin' unit. Luckily, right now, I'm feeling okay. Whenever I get up to walk around, I'm still stiff and sore but not like I was yesterday.

Because of the pain, I've decided that this will be a Monday - Wednesday - Friday exercise week. It's probably better that I ease myself into it anyway, I'll do the same next week and then go to four days the week after that. I don't want to do too much too quickly, especially not now that my foot has decided to be silly.

Foodwise, things are okay. I'm still not 100% (I'll admit it, I have had a couple of cookies in the past 24 hours) but not terrible all the same. I'm using my "do more good things than bad" measuring stick at the moment. If the worst thing I've done is eat a couple of little cookies, I'm happy with that. I've also vetoed any more pizza coming into the house again for a while. It did neither of us any good whatsoever and I don't care that it is one of my all-time favourite foods, I just can't handle the cheese and grease anymore. Over dinner last night (wraps made from left-over grilled veggies and chicken - yum) we discussed how much better we're feeling since we've cut out the crap. It's funny how quickly you feel the changes. It's also scary, how fast a bad food choice (and it wasn't just the pizza - it was partly eating it late at night and then again the next morning for breakfast) can make you feel like total crap. The simple lessons are often the most painful ones to learn. Hopefully, I won't forget the painful part of it, anytime soon.

No comments: