Thursday, December 18, 2003

Day 25

My cold seems to be back. I guess it never went away. I've generally felt pretty crappy today and haven't done much of anything. I did actually exercise today though so that's something I guess.

Because I was basically vegging out for most of the day, I have the TV on a lot. I don't get to watch a lot of daytime television ordinarily. I must say that I'm more than a little disgusted at all the gimmick-y weight-loss programs that are being advertised in heavy rotation right now. I am pretty sure that there aren't any more ads than there normally are but I'm probably more aware of them as I've actually lost weight this year (unlike every other year of my life!). The one that really bugged my bum was for some pill. They were saying that the pills were like $150 a bottle and they were for folks with serious weight problems, you know, the folks who are 20 or 40 pounds overweight, not for people who had "5 or 6 vanity pounds to lose." They then flashed a photo of a person who was more like a couple of hundred pounds overweight. How can folks honestly think that a little pill, one that you buy from a commercial, is going to help?!? I guess that some folks are just desperate enough to try anything. I hate to think of what they might actually do to a person. Hopefully, they're just a placebo and not something that would actually harm a person. Just once, I'd love to see someone take an ad out that said, "the best way to lose weight and to keep it off forever is to totally change your lifestyle -- eat healthy foods and exercise -- you'll be healthy and life longer and you'll thank yourself." Of course, that's just plain old work isn't it? It's not as easy as say, popping a pill that you saw advertised during Jerry Springer. /rant

Sorry if I'm grouchy today, I think it's this head cold thing. Other than my cold, things are going okay. I think we're taking the little old guy out for dinner tonight. I'm not 100% sure but I think we're going to Red Lobster. I haven't been there in a couple of years and I'm hoping that I'll be able to find something there that isn't too bad. It is seafood after all, surely to goodness it can't all be deep fried. Wish me luck!

No comments: