Monday, September 15, 2003

I got back into my morning exercise routine this morning. I was a little groggy but I did it anyway. At the moment, I'm not hungry. I ate breakfast but my stomach is kind of in knots so I've not had any lunch yet. I may not, I'm not sure. I'm (stupidly) worried about a meeting I have later on. I know, logically, that it's nothing to worry about but I can't tell my stomach that. It sort of fits in with today's prompt topic:

Today's Progress Prompt:
Are you a stress eater? What constitutes it? Since starting your weight loss journey, have you learned to deal with stress in a non-food way? If so, how?

I am a stress eater. In the past, when I'm stressed I would eat. I am also a happy eater, a sad eater, a weekend eater, a time of the day eater. I like to eat, good food. Since I started my weight-loss journey though, I try to replace the food with exercise. Whenever I've done this, I always feel so much better afterwards. Partly I feel good because I've done something good for myself which actually alleviates the stress and partly it's because I'm not going to feel bloated, full and still stressed, like I would if I gave in and ate.

I recall in particular, one day last February. Work had been particularly brutal and stressful that day. I got home and was completely exhausted, mentally and physically. As I lay on the sofa, remote in hand, I looked at my recumbent bike out of the corner of one eye. I jumped up and hopped on the bike. I rode that sucker like there was no tomorrow and felt so good for it afterwards. Work is really busy right now for me and I've found that exercising regularly is helping cope with the pace and the stress. It's way more satisfying than stress eating ever was!

No comments: