Wednesday, September 03, 2003

This week's Wednesday Weigh-In:
What are your excuses for eating something you shouldn't or for not working out? What is the best and/or worst excuse you've ever heard?

The only acceptable excuse I can allow myself for not working out is when I'm not feeling well. If I'm really sick, if my back is bothering me or if I'm completely exhausted due to circumstances beyond my control, I'll let myself off the hook from working out. I allow myself a break during these times so I don't hurt myself.

I allow myself a "break" day once a week. On Saturdays, I can eat anything I want. I never go overboard and binge though. Usually, I'll have a small amount of chocolate, or we'll go out for a more "fatty" meal than I'd normally have. There are certain foods that I try to avoid (cheese and bread being big ones) but there isn't anything that I don't allow myself to have. I know that it's better for me to give into a food craving than it is to deprive myself. If I really want something "bad" I'll have it outside the house (like going for an ice cream cone instead of buying a container and having it in the freezer to tempt me) in a controlled environment, in a very limited portion size.

Of course, like everyone, I sometimes go away for the weekend and will miss a workout but I've noticed, over the past few months, that I physically can not (thankfully!) eat the way I used to so even when I do have a "break" meal or a treat, I don't go nuts and get off of my plan because of it.

No comments: