Monday, September 01, 2003

The weekend has been a blur. I had to work yesterday and that has kind of thrown me off kilter. I was expecting to have to work for 4 hours but, in the end, it was more like an entire day. We were working at a luncheon for new students and their parents. Welcoming them to campus I guess. We did get a break to eat and I saw what the students who live in residence, on meal plans, eat. To me, it didn't seem like there were many options for people who were trying to eat in a healthy manner. There was a really nice salad bar, very fresh, with lots of variety, but they only had full-fat dressings. Other than that, there was not a lot of low-fat options. I was a little surprised by this. I can't imagine how difficult it would be for me to live on what they have to offer. I guess you just eat teeny tiny portions of what is available but that's not very practical, in my opinion anyway.

Because work kept me so busy yesterday I didn't work out. I didn't have time in the morning and had intended to do it last night but I was so exhausted, I thought that I'd probably hurt myself if I tried to do any exercise. I'm glad that today is a holiday and I could take it easy. I have been doing laundry all day and puttering around the house a bit. I'm planning to go for ride and a workout as soon as this post is finished.

On Saturday, I did finish up with Good In Bed. I thought that it was terrific. I'm going to start Fred's book today, I plan to get started on it while I'm on the bike this afternoon!

This week's Progress Prompt:

Diet blogs are in the news. Three questions come to mind. Why are there such a proliferation of diet blogs on the Internet?

I don't like the term "diet blog" because I'm not dieting. This is a new lifestyle for me. Diet to me, is something you do for a period of time and then it's over. I know that this is not going to end for me, that I will eat this way and exercise for the rest of my life. I also don't know that I would say that there is a "proliferation" of them but there are definitely a good number. I think it's still a relatively small percentage of the whole blogging community though, overall.

Why do a large percentage of diet blogs disappear into cyberspace and never to return ever again?

I do notice, from time to time, the odd blogger who "disappears" or who at least stops the fitness blog. As a person who "multi-blogs" I can see why some people would give up one or another of their journals for simplicity sake. If someone stops writing (and this is a person who I really enjoy reading about), I will drop them a line to see how they are doing. Sometimes, it's a simple case of them being too busy to post.

Why do we rarely see one achieve her or his goal weight while in *active blogging status*?

I see, more and more, that fitness bloggers are getting closer to goal, or doing maintenance. This is still a relatively new thing and it can take some people a couple of years to get to goal. I expect to see more and more active bloggers reaching goal and I hope that they keep us up-to-date on how they are doing with maintenance.

No comments: