Wednesday, February 25, 2004

struggling

So far today, I'm feeling much better than yesterday. I slept really well last night (I woke up at around 1:30 a.m. but it was cramps that woke me up, not work) and actually felt rested this morning. The funny thing is, I felt rested and yet was feeling sluggish. I guess it's because of all the pain killer type stuff I had to take to get through yesterday. So far today, I've not had to take anything and I'm feeling okay now.

I'm about 4 weeks into a no-coffee thing I've been trying. I still have the very occasional diet coke (we don't have it in the house I just have it when we go out to eat -- am I the only person who wishes for diet sprite or diet ginger ale in restaurants?) but no coffee at all. Ordinarily, I don't have my coffee (one cup only) until I get to work. I bring it with me in a travel mug. For the last four weeks, I've been making myself a pot of herbal tea when I get in, instead. Looking back, I think that the tiredness I was feeling after being sick was probably a little bit of caffeine withdrawal. Have a stomach bug really put me off the coffee so I stuck with it.

Anyway, I'm drinking lots of herbal tea and lots of water these days. Fluid intake is not a problem for me right now. Food, on the other hand has been. Over the past week, since all the chaos started, during the day, when I'm at the office, I'm so busy that I've not been having my snack (a piece of fruit mid-morning and mid-afternoon). I didn't realize this until I noticed that I bit of a stock pile of oranges and bananas on my desk. I'm going to try to force myself to stop. I realized this morning that I'm feeling super hungry in the evenings because I'm not getting that extra fruit in during the day. The result of skipping the snack, and the stress factor at work, had resulted in some bad food choices last week. I'm trying to not beat myself up over it too bad. Thinking about it now, I realize now that I was also in the throes of PMS last week. Yikes, I can't even believe that! It's a wonder that I didn't kill someone!

For now, I'm just working at getting back on track, one day at a time. If things would settle down at work, it might be easier. I'm trying really hard to not bring the work crap home with me but that's a struggle too. In a couple of months, when the dust has settled and things get into something resembling a normal routine again, I'm sure it'll be easier. Right now though, it's pretty tough to cope with if I think about the big picture. I guess I have to look at it like I'm looking at weight loss: break it down into small, manageable parts and take it one day at a time!

No comments: