Wednesday, January 12, 2005

day 10 - tempted by the snack of another

The hunger is gone. The bad hunger, that gnawing, aching hunger that drove me crazy all day yesterday has been replaced with the normal "hey, it's almost lunchtime" kind of hungry feeling that you get throughout the day. Yesterday was a huge struggle. Today, I brought a couple of extra clementines with me and a little zippy bag of crispy mini's. If I do get hungry, I won't be tempted to schlep over to the cafe next door for a muffin or other such not on program snack.

Even though I was so hungry I literally could have eaten my socks yesterday, I was pretty proud of a non-scale victory that happened last night. After dinner, we had a couple of errands to do. We ended up at the grocery store to pick up some bananas and oranges (we're going through oranges that fast because they are so good right now). While we were wandering around the store, my hunny asked, "what flavour ice cream do you want?" I said, "you get what you want, I'm trying to be 'good' tonight." He's still struggling with the snacking issue. I'm trying to be a good example but it's tough. The night before, he found a small bag of Christmas candy that I had missed in my clean out and had a big handful before bed. In the morning, he confessed that it didn't agree with his stomach and asked me to throw it out (which I will tomorrow night). Anyway, he ended up getting some not-so-bad cookies and no ice cream. I did notice though, while we looked through the ice cream cabinet, that skinny cow now has low-fat fudge bars out now. Maybe they aren't new but it was the first time I had seen them. I didn't pick any up though. Stuff like that, I just can't seem to keep in the house. I don't know what it is about ice cream but if it's in the house, I'll eat it and I don't need to.

So it's mid-week and so far, I've kept to my workout schedule. I still haven't introduced the pilates DVD's into it yet, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, my back has been dicey in the mornings and I haven't really wanted to introduce something new that might cause me to twist in a weird way and put me onto the heating pad. The other reason is that my hunny has been home in the mornings the past week and a bit. The last day he worked was January 1. He drives a cab and the car he normally drives was involved in an accident on January 2. This coincided with him injuring his knee (totally unrelated, he wasn't driving when the accident happened) so to take a few days off wasn't the worst thing in the world. What ended up happening though, is that the fellow he's been working for hasn't put the car back on the road yet so hunny is looking for another ride. Ordinarily, it doesn't take more than a couple of days to get back to work and I know he'll be employed again by the end of the week but, having him home has crimped my routine slightly. Once he's back to work, I'll have the house to myself again in the mornings and I'll test out the DVD's.

Right now, I can't tell if I have lost any weight since the weekend. I'm not even sure that I'll sustain that initial big first week water weight loss this week. Honestly, at this moment, I'm so enjoying the feeling of being strong and healthy that I'm not all that bothered if I don't see a loss this week (not that I'm saying I won't, I'm just saying, you know?). Ideally, I'd love to lose 4 to 6 pounds each month, all year. Also, it would be really great if I didn't gain at all this year. Last year I was up and down like a yo-yo and I'm really not wanting that to happen again. 4 to 6 a month is like, 1-1.5 pounds a week. I think that's reasonable and gives me wiggle room for things like TOM and holidays. The more work I can do on myself to focus less on numbers and more on overall health, the better.

No comments: