Monday, January 09, 2006

ups and downs

As I've often written about, weekends are difficult for me. When I'm working and on a regular schedule, it's quite easy for me to eat in a sensible fashion. This weekend, I was mostly good (Friday and Saturday) and a smidgen bad (Sunday).

On Friday night, after work, we had to visit the LOG and drop some stuff off. We also had some banking and a couple of other errands to do but, upon leaving his place I suggested that we go straight home. Both of us were a little brain dead and fried and I knew that I couldn't face dealing with the bank and the shops. Once we got home, the dinner discussion began. Having shopped the night before, we had lots of healthy ingredients at our finger tips, I'd even pulled some protein out of the freezer that morning. Neither of us felt much like cooking and we weren't even all that hungry, truth be told.

Eventually, we decided to go to our favourite Vietnamese place for some noodle soup and a plate of veggies. They had been closed over the Christmas holidays but we figured that they'd be open by January 6. I was really looking forward to that bowl of soup as we approached the restaurant. Imagine my disappointment when I realized that the lights were out and that they were still closed. Now we really didn't know what to do, I had my choices all mapped out and planned, anywhere else we might end up would totally throw a spanner into my plan, wouldn't it??

As it happened, this wasn't the case. We went to Montana's and each ordered a salad and we split a sandwich and a baked potato (a naked potato at that!). At the end of the day, I was actually under as far as my caloric goals went. Funny thing too, on the way home, I mentioned to my hunny that I was going to have a cookie when I got home, or something sweet anyway. When we finally did get home, I opened the little tin that holds the last few crumbs of my Christmas baking and I closed it back up again. Shocked the hell out of me but it made me feel good. I didn't need anything sweet and I realized that I didn't want it either!

On Saturday, I was super duper on-plan good girl. I made myself a pot of herbal tea to sip on while I read emails. Eventually, I got up and made myself a scrambled egg and a slice of dry toast. I topped the egg off with some black pepper and salsa and even allowed myself a small spoonful of potato salad on the side. It was a really satisfying meal and it kept me going until lunchtime. I had the last of the left-over stir fry and a couple of rice crackers for lunch. In between I drank lots of water and remembered to take my vitamins too. For dinner, we stayed home and my hunny made us his version of pad thai (I had some of the leftovers for lunch today). All in all, it was a very good calorie day. I didn't snack at all, which is a huge deal for me, particularly on a Saturday.

Sunday didn't go so well. I got up and made myself a toasted english muffin with some peanut butter, I also had some cranberry juice and a few clementine oranges. Not bad huh?? Well, for lunch, we ended up at the Chinese buffet. I told myself that as long as I avoided the deep fried stuff, it wouldn't be so bad. It was though, as always, I ate too much. I did skip dessert though, so that's something right?? We knew that we'd not eat dinner last night, having had such a huge lunch. We camped out in the living room, watching a "Curb Your Enthusiasm" marathon while I sorted through a couple of boxes of knick-knacks (oh yes, we're still unpacking!). The whole time I was sitting there, the fat from the Chinese food was doing it's work on me. I couldn't stop thinking about a bag of ruffles that I found in the back of the pantry and that container of low fat sour cream in the fridge. Eventually, I broke down, made up some onion dip and we snacked on the chips and dip for our dinner. I will admit, if it hadn't been in the house, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. But it was and it did and I ate them and they were tasty and now that's over. I'm not excusing it but I am coming clean about it.

So it's Monday again. New week, clean start. On Wednesday, I'll weigh-in and update on the week's efforts. Seeing how I restarted on a Wednesday, I figured I'd restart that "Wednesday Weigh-In" Tradition for myself.

Oh, exercise. As promised, I've continued with the weekday workout thing. This morning I rode 4.64 miles and it wasn't easy. It was good though, I was really feeling it in my thighs and I liked that. The only real exercise I got over the weekend was some shoveling yesterday afternoon after lunch. If I can master the weekday workout thing, eventually I plan to include the weekends too (with stuff that is more recreational) but for now, I'm sticking to my five days a week.

No comments: