Thursday, October 23, 2003

I'm a day late on the Wednesday Weigh-In this week:

Do you feel guilty over eating something bad or missing a workout? If not, how have you overcome that?

I try not to as long as it doesn't happen too much. Working out is something that I've practically mastered now. It's part of my day, at least 5 days a week. Every week day, I crawl out of bed, pull on my workout clothes and exercise before breakfast. Saturday is my regular break day and sometimes I'll take Sunday off as well. 5 days a week of exercise is a million times better than what I was doing a year ago right now.

During the month of September, while I was in my crazy-nutty period at work, I kept up with the workouts. My eating got all messed up. I worked through lunch, worked late, and often had to grab dinner out on the way home. Our eating routine was a huge mess but the working out kept it in line. Had I not maintained my workouts, I know that I would have gained 10 pounds (not to mention I would have been incredibly stressed).

I work hard to not beat myself up about bad eating when it happens because a) it doesn't happen too often and b) I get back on track the next day. In the past, I would let small slip-ups side track me completely. I keep my eye on my long-term goals now and accept that "treats" or slip-ups are a part of life and they will happen from time to time. When I first started this process, I would not allow myself any slip-ups. The first 3 months were tough because I wanted to break my bad habits and didn't want to risk back-sliding. This worked for me because now, when I really want a treat, I let myself have it (but I have to REALLY want it). I have it a small portion and generally keep it outside of my house. This way, I'll have a cookie (singular!) not a whole bag of cookies. This works for me, ymmv.

No comments: