Tuesday, November 18, 2003

I didn't get around to posting on Sunday or Monday because the days were kind of foggy.

On Saturday, we went up to Toronto for this big event I was working at. I started the day by getting up around 4 a.m. and wasn't able to get back to sleep. We left here around 10:30 a.m. and got to the hotel at around 1 p.m. so we made very good time. Traffic was light, the day went along pretty smoothly. Everything at the event went fairly smoothly and I was pretty pleased with myself as far as my energy level and stamina went. There was a lot of walking and running and moving of furniture and boxes and I handled it all really well. I remember last year it was a real struggle to do what I had to do but this year, it was a snap. It's at times like that when I really notice the benefits of my workouts.

Eating was pretty okay even though we had lunch at Mr GreenJeans. My hunny had driven up to meet me and I had promised to take him out for soup after the event was over. He's originally from Toronto and really misses living in a city with a proper China Town. So, at 2 a.m., we traipsed over to the Gold Stone for some congee. It was SOOO good. It had been ages since I had some. You can't get it here where we live. It was a little late to be having dinner but I really didn't care. It was such good food and we really enjoyed it never mind that it was the middle of the night. We got back to the hotel at a little after 3 a.m. but didn't get much sleep. I was happy to get up and out in the morning and head back to town. We had originally thought about staying over an extra night to visit some friends and do some Christmas shopping but the Santa Claus Parade was on and we were totally exhausted and just wanted to get home.

I had decided at the beginning of the weekend that I wasn't going to worry too much about what I was eating that weekend. The main reason being that I didn't have a lot of control over most of the meals we would be eating. This morning, I tallied everything up and discovered that my portion control was pretty good, calorie-wise, and that I didn't actually go too far overboard.

Now, a day late, here's this week's Progress Prompt:

Have you ever been discriminated against because of your weight? What opportunities have you missed out on because of your size?

Oh for sure I have been. I'm sure that there were jobs that I didn't get because I was overweight. I know that when I was in school, there were things that I didn't do because of my weight. Although I loved swimming, I deliberately missed the swimming component of Grade 12 gym to avoid having to change into a swim suit in front of my average weight classmates. I could make a list of things as long as your arm of things that I didn't do back then, because I felt that I was too fat (or embarrassedembarassed by my fat) to do them.

As an adult, my attitude has changed and I try not to let my weight slow me down. It's definitely been easier this year, since I've become more active and have lost some of it. I no longer allow other people's prejudices about fat people make me feel bad about myself. I know who I am and what am I and if someone is going to judge me soley on how much I weigh or what size I wear, that is their problem, not mine.

No comments: