Wednesday, January 22, 2003

I'm just taking my lunch break, at my desk today (it's waaaay too cold outside to walk - not to mention really icy) and was reading the health news on Yahoo. There was an article which discussed the merits of high-protein versus low fat, high-carb diets. I've been doing the later one, lots of veggies and very low fat and that's working for me. The article mentioned that one doesn't necessarily result in more long-term weight loss than the other but that the high-protein one was harder for people to stick to for long periods of time. I can see how that could be true, I've also learned that everyone has to do something that works for them and not every "program" works for every "body."

I was a tad bit brain-dead last night and didn't post much. Yesterday, I passed a bit of a "test" if you will. Our office is a little like that episode of Seinfeld about the birthday parties. We'll use any excuse around to have a cake in the meeting room. Yesterday was a colleagues' birthday and (of course) we had to have a cake. I was so good, I didn't even have a little sliver. My boss didn't have one either, we're both watching our intake. I was really pleased with myself. One of my co-workers (who rejoined WW a couple of weeks ago) looked over at me as she was munching on her cake and mumbled something about having to "cut back at dinner tonight" to make up for having the cake. It was as if she thought that I was "judging" her, I wasn't...I just enjoy my dinner too much to give up part of it for the emptiest of empty calories! It was a small personal victory but all the same, I was happy with myself. I stayed and visited with folks but I sipped my water and didn't feel like I was "hard done by" or deprived.

I have noticed a difference in the way my clothes are fitting me over the past couple of days. It's been very cold here recently and I've been wearing a heavy sweater every day. I work in a really old building and it gets very cold there. I've been wearing the same few sweaters and was getting kind of bored of them. I have mostly been wearing 5X sweaters lately. Yesterday, when I was getting dressed for work, I dug into the back of my closet to find an alternative. I dug out a sweater that I hadn't worn since last winter, slipped it on and it fit. It was a 4X, buttoned up the front and the last time I tried it on, it gaped in the front. Yesterday, I was able to button it easily and wear it over a turtleneck sweater (with room to spare)!! The sweater I'm wearing today has a little extra room now too! It feels very nice!!

No comments: