Monday, January 06, 2003

Well, first day into this new program deal and I'm feeling a little discouraged before I get started. After work, we had some errands to do, the errands were supposed to include picking up some groceries for dinner but my hubby was hinting around about going out for a bite so we did. We went to this chinese buffet place that we go to fairly often and I was very careful about my selections. I felt like I may have over done it a bit but when I got home and figured out what I ate, it wasn't as bad as I had thought (although I had too many calories from fat today, at least more than I had wanted to, overall it wasn't disgusting).

Anyway, I had been wanting a scale, this particular heavy duty scale because I knew that the ones that only go up to 300 lbs were not going to do it for me. On the way to dinner, we stopped off at this medical supply place and picked one up. I'd researched them a fair bit and knew what I wanted, exactly.

The last time I had been weighed was years ago and I was around 315 lbs then. I know that I have gained weight since then but figured that I'd be under 350 lbs. I get this new fancy scale home, set it up and hop on...I'm over the 350 lbs mark on the scale. I don't know how much over, just that it's over. I'm of two minds at the moment, one is to take the thing back, go to my doctor's and have her weigh me and then buy it again when I've dropped below 350. The other option (the one I'm more inclined to go with) is to still get weighed by the doctor but to hang on to the scale, try it again in a couple of weeks and see what happens. It's a great scale and it wasn't cheap and I'm definitely making plans to drop below 350 soon. I'm guessing that I might be as much as 15 or 20 lbs over that. I'm just not sure anymore.

As I'm sure you can appreciate, it was very discouraging for me not to have a number. I'm not sure why exactly, I guess I needed the measurement. The numbers haven't meant much to me for years (about the last 15 I'd say) but now I feel strongly that I need to know, exactly where I stand and how far I have to go. Ideally, I'd like to get to 155 lbs. I'm 5' 9" and have a large frame so that would be a good weight for me. Sort of the high-end of what would be acceptable in BMI standards.

No worries though, I'm not going to go down to the kitchen and eat leftover christmas cookies. I think I'll go down to my living room, throw in my tape of today's Coronation Street episode and hop on my exercise bike for half an hour.

No comments: