Wednesday, January 08, 2003

My hubby made us an incredible dinner tonight, stir fried beef with peppers, broccoli and ginger with oyster mushroom rice. There was a trace amount of oil in it and a lot of garlic and ginger, it was so yummy.

After dinner, I hopped on my bike again and was flicking around the channels on the television. We have digital cable and are able to get the west coast channels. Oprah was on at 7 p.m. on one of the Vancouver channels. I don't ordinarily watch Oprah, I don't particularly like her anymore. I find that she's a little too preachy but this episode caught my attention because she was interviewing women who all weighed over 300 pounds about what it was like to be obese.

Some of the things that the women talked about, I could completely identify with (the difficulty finding clothes, seatbelts in cars being tight, not being as flexible as you used to be). Other things, I didn't quite connect with. They all claimed to hate themselves and seemed to have very low self-esteem ( a common thread in the interviews was showing these women driving from one drive-through fast-food restaurant to another, completely gourging themselves). I don't have that problem. I don't hate myself, I know that I'm a good person, that I'm smart and capable. I have a great job and I'm in a terrific relationship with a wonderful man.

Physically though, I know that I'm not as healthy as I should be. I want to lose weight and have a stronger, more flexible body. I want to be able to purchase clothes in normal stores and not have to pay an arm and a leg for them. I want us to both get more fit so that we can have as long as life together as is humanly possible because I don't personally believe that there's anything waiting for us when it's all over. We got this big because we ate too much and didn't exercise enough. I'm working on correcting that. This is the end of my third day and so far, I've completely stuck to it. I've not gone one inch off what I set out to do. I've been eating smaller portions of food, keeping my fat intake low and I'm exercising, everyday. Best part of it is that I don't feel hard-done-by right now.

Eventually, I know that I will see visual results. In the meantime I'm enjoying how good it feels to be doing good things for myself and being completely selfish about it. I know that I never could have started this whole thing if I hadn't stumbled across other "loser" blogs. I saw how other ordinary women were able to get the weight off, get fit and healthy without surgery or without spending a fortune on diet clinics (that don't really work anyway, truth be told). These women spill their guts and inspire me. So here I sit, spilling mine and hoping that in a year or so, I'll be able to inspire someone too.

I want to be a loser too, a big loser, the hugest loser you've ever seen!

No comments: