Wednesday, March 03, 2004

hurtin' unit

If you can believe it (I sure can't!), my back is still mucked up. It's better than it was yesterday but only marginally. I know that I should have stayed home from work yesterday but I just couldn't. I stuck it out and was really uncomfortable. I probably made a tonne of mistakes but at least I was here. I'm here again today, uncomfortable and prone to tears if someone asks me how things are going (in a unit that should have 4 people in it, on my own!). Not fun!

The stress is really getting to me. We've also had some family "fun" to deal with this week. My hunny's no good, deadbeat, fuck-wit, asshole brother is in the hospital. At first we didn't believe it (because his lying asshole wife called the little old guy) but we confirmed the information with North York General yesterday in the morning. The little old guy is prone to getting things wrong when it comes to medical terms and names. Last year, LOG was in the hospital recovering from a dissected aorta and, for weeks after getting out he couldn't remember what he had suffered from. Finally, when John Ritter died from a dissected aorta, he was able to tell folks, "yeah, I had that thing that killed Jack from 3's Company!"). Anyway, he told us that his son was suffering from a relapse of Wegner's Disease. I found this to be odd because this is a disease that affects babies. After many phone calls and digging around, we discovered that he actually has Wegener's Disease. Different spelling, quite different disease. He's pretty seriously ill and it's causing all kinds of logistical problems on our end as we live about 2.5 hours east of where he is. The LOG doesn't really want to make the trip but would like to see him (impossible!!?), my hunny doesn't want to go because he hasn't talked to his brother in 10 years. It's all just lovely and fun in a disgustingly complicated and horrible way.

We were supposed to go to Ottawa tomorrow night to see the Smugglers and the Evaporators but I don't think that's happening now. I had Friday booked off and, when I realized we may not go to Ottawa, I was going to cancel it. I'm thinking now that I'm going to take the day, try to convince my hunny to take it too and just try to chill out. Goodness knows we both need some down time.

As I'm sure you can imagine, meals have been sporadic at best and working out hasn't happened because of the back thing. It's shaping up to be a complete wash out of a week. Hopefully once I get through hump-day it'll improve. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hope you are all having a better week than I am!

No comments: