Saturday, March 06, 2004

shopping survival

I am so not a mall rat anymore. I know that I used to be but that was years ago, in high school probably. Today, my hunny and I decided to take a road trip down to Syracuse. We wanted to pick up some Diet Coke with Lime (it totally rawks -- we drink our diet coke with real lime all the time, this is a fabulous product that will hopefully be available in Canada soon) as well as some Special K with Almond & Vanilla. We also wanted to check out some computer type stuff and I wanted to visit JC Penney & Lane Bryant.

We ended up at the Carousel Center. It was a zoo. It was also about a million degrees in there, I swear that they still had the heat on!! We managed to get a fabulous parking spot by Kaufmann's and wandered through the mall, looking around for the stores we knew that we wanted to check out. There were huge line-ups everywhere. I couldn't believe it. One thing that I learned today is that there are not nearly enough women's washrooms in the place. Every restroom had at least a 10-15 minute wait.

Eventually, I was able to find a directory and locate Lane Bryant. It was exactly where it had been last time I was in the mall but that was so long ago I can't even remember. I was in luck because I needed to find some new bras and they have a huge sale on bras and other stuff like that. Miracle of miracles, I actually found some stuff that I liked. I picked out four bras and some undies and turned around to make my way to the cash. There were at least 30 women in line ahead of me. I stood in the line for a few minutes and did some calculations about the exchange rate and the actual prices of what I was holding in my hands. It didn't take long for me to put the stuff back and go back into the mall, where my hunny was patiently waiting for me. I was a little disappointed but I just couldn't imagine standing in that line for what looked like would be 30 to 45 minutes. Insanity!! For undies!! I don't think so. It probably didn't help that it was after 3 p.m. and we'd not yet had lunch.

We decided to get outside, get some fresh air and rethink the whole thing. Once we got to the car, we decided that it would be a better use of our time to just head back up to Watertown and get what we wanted at the grocery store there. We had a great time. We found the cereal and the pop as well as some fat free salad dressings that we can't find here and some Zesty Honey Mustard by Gulden's that looks really yummy. Watertown's actually less than a hour from here so we may go back again soon if we find that we like the stuff we found today.

I didn't do a proper workout this morning but we did a tonne of walking today. Other than the no air in the mall thing, the walking felt good. All of the time spent in the car on the other hand, was a little exhausting. I'm sure that we'll sleep well tonight. Tomorrow I do plan to do a proper workout first thing in the morning and then Monday, as I said before, totally back on track with that. On that note, I'm heading off to bed. Hope you're having a good weekend so far, I know that I certainly am!

No comments: