Thursday, June 03, 2004

observations

Last night after dinner, we had a bunch of errands to do. It was a bit of a mad rush because we didn't leave the house until 6:45 and I wanted to be home for dah Idol at 8. When we were at the gas station, I watched these two guys in the next lane. One was pumping gas (it was self-serve) and the other was standing beside him, inhaling a chocolate bar while he listened to the pumping guy talk. The guy was in his early 20's and was a little husky but not fat. Now, I'm not quite sure which kind of bar he had, maybe one of those chunky areo bars, maybe something chewy like a wunderbar. Either way, watching him eat it was a revelation to me. It didn't appear like he was even tasting it, he was just shoving it into his mouth and it made me think about all of the times in the past I had done the same thing. Absent minded consumption is what gets many of us fat. It sure got me fat. I mean, some of the time I ate because of emotional reasons but some of the time I ate purely out of boredom. Seeing the way this guy was eating really turned me off chocolate bars, I can't really explain why, it was a weird thing. I guess it just made me happy that I am back into thinking about what I eat before I shove it into my face.

This morning when I was working out I watched Dr. Phil (on tape - from yesterday). Wednesday's show was about anti-aging and it was pretty interesting. Of course they had the typical person who was overly concerned about getting older but they also talked a lot about things you can do to increase longevity and slow the aging process. All of the stuff that they talked about is stuff that we're all trying to do in our weight-loss journeys. Of course, for me, I've said all along that in addition to losing pounds, my long term goal is to be a really fit old lady. It was quite nice to hear confirmation that we're all on the right path!

I've also noticed something pretty cool over the past couple of days that's happened with my leg / foot. Over the past month or so, I've had the odd pain in my knee. My left knee mostly and I noticed it would start to cause me pain if I moved side to side. I also have a spur on my heel that gives me problems if I wear cheap shoes. Anyway, over the past week, I don't remember my knee or leg bothering me. I was also experiencing some mild discomfort in the knee when I would stand up or sit down, that's gone as well. At first I wasn't sure if was a weather thing or a weight thing. Now that I have a noticeable lack of aches and pains right now AND it's raining out so, it's not hard to figure it out now is it?

No comments: