Wednesday, July 21, 2004

hmmmmm

Was it just me or was blogger behaving badly earlier today??  While I was on my lunch break at work, I tried to get in and post.  When I couldn't get into blogger, I tried to view this page and wasn't able to.  I could see other stuff but nothing blogger-related.   Now it all seems to be working just fine, strange huh??

My 100% on plan eating and exercising thing is still going strong.  The past two days have presented interesting challenges and I've impressed myself with how I've reacted to them.

My hunny has a cold.  He very rarely gets colds and reacts to them very badly when he does get them.  Every day, after he gets off work, he picks me up.   Now, LOG likes to take us out for dinner one night a week, usually Tuesday or Wednesday.  Last night, when my knight in shining Buick arrived, we discussed whether or not we go out last night and barbecue tonight, or vice versa.   Because the weather was agreeable (and because I really prefer to go out on Wednesday to break the week up) we decided to barbecue.  We were low on bananas and he was craving a bun for his burger so we went to Loblaws.  I'm a firm believer  in feeding a craving when you have it so it doesn't get out of hand, I also think that if a little treat will make you feel better when you're sick, you should have it.  That said, when we got to Loblaws, he went into full-blown "I'm sick therefore I need treats" mode.  I went along with it, I got my bananas and my fat-free honey mustard and he got potato salad, macaroni salad (very small containers only), hamburg buns, hot dog buns (egg with poppy seed -- did I mention that we almost never buy buns??), some other condiments that we were running low on so they don't count as treats and a bag of chili/lime tortilla chips.  Our barbecue consisted of lean beef burgers, grilled zucchini, and some hot dogs.  He and his dad had a great time making themselves gooey cheeseburgers (fat free cheese is all we have in the house, of course) with mayo'y salads and chips 'til their tummies were full.  I had one burger (no cheese) on a bun (because they were whole grain and incredibly fresh), a lot of grilled zucchini and a very tiny amount (probably less than a 1/4 cup) of each salad.   I had no chips, no cheese, nuttin'!!  I didn't feel deprived either, I really enjoyed my meal and was glad to see the two of them enjoying their dinner too.    In the past, I'd have gone along for the ride with them and over ate.  I know now that I don't have to overeat, or make bad choices, when someone else has a craving.  I can save it for when I have my own craving.

A similar thing happened tonight.  We went out for dinner and I had a huge salad that really filled me up.  They seemed full too but wanted to stop off at DQ on the way home for a cone.  I passed on the cone and, instead, had a skinny cow when I came home.  Now, I'm not trying to be a martyr or anything but I'm very happy with myself for the way I handled both of these situations.  It's taking me a long time but I'm getting into this listening to my body thing.  I learned a lot after my mini-binge on the weekend and I never want to have do another "detox" like I did on Monday and Tuesday.  Here it is, Wednesday already, I've had 3 days of perfectly clean eating and excellent workouts and I'm feeling the better for it.  I feel so good right now that you almost wouldn't know that TOM is just around the corner.  That's incredible!!

No comments: