Wednesday, July 07, 2004

home and dry

We had a torrential downpour this morning. When I was making my breakfast this morning, I noticed a few drops on the concrete in front of the house but it wasn't really amounting to much. By the time I got out of the shower, it was raining cats and dogs. I wish I could stayed in but instead I went to the office and was basically at "work and soggy." Not a great way to start the day exactly but that happens sometimes.

Work's been busy today. Because of the short week last week, there seem to be a lot of meetings happening this week. It's hard to get much done at one's desk when your butt is in a conference room somewhere rather than in your very own chair.

I've noticed this week, that there seems to be a lot of bad shit happening out there in the blogosphere. Break ups, deaths, lost jobs. By comparison, getting wet on the way to work, or having to sit through meetings is totally insignficant. We've had a couple of deaths to deal with ourselves lately, as well as some serious health "situations" amongst close family members. At a time like this, rather than dwell on all the negative stuff that's happening around me, I'm going to take a moment to list the positive stuff instead:

1. I am head over heels in love with a wonderful, supportive man who I know is truly in love with me too.

2. We are both healthy and are working together to get healthier, every day.

3. We are both gainfully employed in jobs that we don't hate.

4. We live within close proximity of our family and have many good friends close by too.

5. Right now, at this moment, I am not without anything that I don't absolutely need (I'm not talking about amazon wish list items).

6. I'm happy.

7. I know and appreciate the value in being lucky enough to be happy, healthy and in love.

We all know in our heads that things can happen in the blink of an eye that can change our lives forever. It can be difficult though, in the busy day to day routine that is our lives, to realize how lucky we are and how tenuous it can be. I'm going to work really hard to not take any of this positive stuff for granted, to appreciate everything I've been given and not dwell on things that don't go my way. Life is far too short to allow the bad to overshadow the good things in this world.

No comments: