Monday, August 09, 2004

easing back into it

Today is the last day of my vacation. I took the extra day because of the holiday Monday last week and I'm really glad that I did. Before my vacation started I had a little list of things that I wanted to do. It wasn't actually written down, it was just stuff I had in my head that I thought I'd get to. The list included reading magazines and books, hooking up with some friends and pampering myself. I didn't exactly get around to those things specifically (what with the unplanned company and all that came with it) but today I did spend some time on myself. I got caught up on a bunch of little things that I needed to deal with around the house and I was able to get my mum's birthday gift together and delivered to her (her birthday is today!).

For the first time in a long time, I feel rested. I'm not exactly looking forward to getting back to work but I'm not dreading it either. In my old job, taking time off during the summer was actually impossible. This year, in my new position, I've been able to book off small pockets of time and it's making for a very pleasant summer so far. Of course, at the end of this month we have the long weekend and then I have another four day weekend booked for mid-September. Add that to the week I took at the end of June, the four day weekend in mid-July and this recent week, I actually feel like I've had a lot of time off this summer. It's been so nice to be able to enjoy the nice weather and get outside in it rather than watching it sail by from a window in my office.

Yesterday we retrieved the LOG from his brother's in Toronto. It was a bit of a whirlwind trip and I was really glad to get home last night. When I met my hunny he was living in Toronto and he moved here to be with me. Everytime we go back for a visit, it just reinforces for both of us why he moved here instead of me moving to TO. The aspects of Toronto that we really love, we can experience whenever we feel like spending a couple of hours in the car. The parts of it we really hate, we don't have to deal with every day. I think we've struck a great balance. Where we are right now too, is the same distance from Montreal and Syracuse as it is from Toronto so we're sort of smack in the middle of it all without having to actually be there.

Over the course of my mini-vacation, I still squeezed in some fairly regular exercise. I'm pretty happy about that. My eating was up and down, as it is when you're on holiday but overall, not too terrible. I'm sure I've gained a couple pounds over the weekend but this week I should have everything back on track. Today, for example, my routine was kind of all over the place but I managed to keep within my calorie range. This is nothing short of a small miracle considering we went to Denny's (of all places) for dinner tonight. Tomorrow I return to my normal routine of regular, scheduled exercise and planned out, cooked at home, healthy meals. The schedule always breeds results so I'm happy to get back to it.

I see no reason why this week shouldn't be just as wonderful as my week off was. It's all about the attitude, isn't it?

No comments: