Monday, February 24, 2003

Wowee...it's been seven weeks since I started this blog, began this new healthy lifestyle. Seven weeks ago, one day at a time was a huge struggle for me. It's still not a breeze but it's not as tough as it was. It's definitely become a habit, the stopping and thinking and calculating. I know that some folks make more of it than it needs to be.

I've recently seen a commercial for "slim fast" that depicts a woman in bed with her lover and while he's going to town, she's calculating how many calories she's burning and what she can eat later (the crux of it being: don't eat healthy and plan your meals, drink our crappy shakes!). I don't do that, I don't make this thing that complicated. We only buy healthy food now, so there aren't any temptations in the house. If we overeat at a given meal, it's generally healthy and low in fat so it's not as bad as past over-indulgences (pizza nights or chip & dip fests, that kind of thing).

Yesterday, we had a huge mess in our driveway after the freezing rain storm. It took us a couple of hours to get the car and driveway cleaned up. When it was done, neither of us were pooped. Actually, we were both quite invigorated, rosey cheeked and happy. If this had happened in December, we'd have taken twice as long (cuz we'd have been taking breaks every 15 minutes) and we'd have done a half-assed job. I really like how I'm feeling, how I don't get winded from walking across the mall anymore. Before Christmas, I couldn't say that. Before we began this, I was so out of shape that I would get wiped out from walking from one end of the mall to the other. Sad huh? Happily, this isn't happening anymore. If I have any regrets about this, it's that I didn't start this sooner. I had no idea it would feel so good!

No comments: