Thursday, June 12, 2003

fruity day

I just enjoyed a big piece of fresh pineapple with my fat free strawberry/banana yogurt. It was really delicious and refreshing!

I'm having a great day so far. My breakfast and lunch have been really low in fat and I had a good workout this morning (read "very sweaty"). Just like Tuesday, I did my 1 mile WATP and then did 4.19 miles on the recumbent bike. I use my 2lb hand weights when I do WATP and really feel the workout in my arms and shoulders when I do. I am glad that I've decided to do it every other day because I don't know that I could handle the perky-ness every day!

My appointment with the doctor went really well. We talked about the gas attack (my word for it) and at first, she thought that I may have a gallstone. The type of pain I had though, and the time frame for it after eating, is not consistent with it. I guess that gallstone pain would not go away from belching, like mine does. She said that if it continues, she'll send me for an ultrasound just to rule it out completely. I asked her if I could have some blood-work done. I haven't had any done in a while and would like to see how I'm doing with regards to my diet and my sugar levels, cholesterol, etc. When I'm on holidays at the end of the month, I'll do it. I'm going back to see her for another weigh-in on July 9. She's really pleased with my progress and is super supportive. Not that she ever really made an issue of my weight or anything...but in the past, I would resist making regular visits and having tests done because (like an ostrich) I didn't want to hear that I had some weigh-related health problem. As I mentioned yesterday, medically I'm very lucky and in the past, my blood work and everything is always good, but I always feared bad news and a lecture about my weight (funnily enough, the only person who ever lectured me about it was my mum).

As I mentioned to my doctor yesterday, my long term goal is not to be a size 6 or anything... it's to be a really healthy 80 year old lady. She kind of laughed at that but it's that goal that helps me keep things in perspective. I know that everything good that I do now, is going to help me later on down the road. I'd rather use that as my ultimate focus than just a dress size or a number on the scale. I'm working on those things too but they are just a by-product of the other. Overall, it was a really good, positive appointment and I'm glad that I've involved her in this. She's a fabulous woman!

No comments: