Thursday, June 26, 2003

I did workout yesterday afternoon and felt better for it afterwards. I did find that I wasn't moving as quickly as I normally due, probably because of the weather. We're having a heat wave here right now and it's really bad. The humidity is oppressive and while it's cool in the house (we have A/C), it's not ideal. It's not the same as having a fabulous breeze blowing through the house, which is what I'm used to.

My eating was great yesterday and I'm feeling good this morning. We got to sleep in our own bed last night after 2 nights in the spare room. The paint fumes are basically gone and I feel really rested today. I'm going to have a lazy day today I think. I'm planning to workout and maybe do a load or two of laundry but that will be about it.

I didn't see this until this morning. I must have gone to bed before Carla got is posted. I'm so glad to see that she's back though. Here's this week's Wednesday Weigh-In:

Is there someone in your life who would be disappointed if he or she knew how much you ate or the kind of things you ate?

The only person who would be "disappointed" if she knew how much (or what) we used to eat before we started doing this is my mother. I've talked to my other weight-loss buddies and have discovered that we've all done much the same things to get fat in the first place. When I lived at home, my mother tried to keep a very close eye on what I ate. I almost always ate the food that I wanted to eat outside of the house and lied to her about it. Looking back, I should have been honest with her and stood up to her. I didn't feel strong enough to do the battle at the time I guess. She had to know that I was lying though because I never lost as much weight as she would have liked.

I still remember, vividly, when she sat me down (I was in grade 6) and she told me that I was fat. When I look at photos from that time, I was not fat. I was taller than the other kids in my class, I had developed a lot sooner than most of the other girls so yeah, I was bigger. I probably would have been an "average" weight throughout my teen years if my mother had not insisted that I keep trying different diets. I feel that the fad diets she introduced me to basically messed up my metabolism for a time. They also caused me to "sneak" food while I lived at home, probably to rebel against my mum's good intentions. Once I moved out of the house and stopped dieting, my weight stabilized for several years. It wasn't until the last couple of years that I started gaining again (and have since started to lose it and change my lifestyle -- if you're a regular reader here, you know what we've done the past couple of years to get us up to the weight we were on January 6, 2003).

She went so far as to say to me at one time, again will all good intentions, that it would be really nice if I could get anorexia for a small period of time as a method of losing weight. I think you can figure out why I either lied about what I ate or just avoided the conversation about it with her. I know that she can justify what she did as having my best interests at heart. I feel that she went about it the totally wrong way though. Being honest with her about what I was eating would just upset her too much so we got to a point in our relationship where it wasn't discussed.

No comments: