Wednesday, August 20, 2003

I'm feeling so much better today than I was yesterday. I think I figured out what was wrong with me. My stomach started bothering me a couple of days after I began taking Flax Seed Oil Supplements.

I had read up on it and decided to add it to my vitamin regime. They suggested that you take 3 of them a day but I started out taking it in the morning and evening (before breakfast and after dinner). A few months ago when I started taking Calcium and Magnesium supplements, I was taking them twice daily and I felt crappy. I reduced it to once a day and felt fine, my body mustn't have needed that much of it or something.

I remembered that last night and decided to stop taking my vitamins for a few days. I feel terrific today so I think that it must have been the flax seed oil. What I've decided to do, when I start taking them again, is to alternate, take a calcium one day and a flax the next. That way I don't have too much stuff in my system at once. I'm pretty happy to have figured it out, I was getting really worried that I wouldn't be able to eat anything at all (because everything was making me sick -- not just "crap" foods).

Despite the heat and humidity, I've worked out the past two mornings. This morning, I slept in and didn't think that I'd have time to do my whole workout but I did it. I kept negotiating with myself "just two more minutes and I'll stop..." But I managed to get my regular routine in. I feel so good about that. I rock!

It's the yummy edition of the Wednesday Weigh-In:
What is your favorite on-program recipe? Please share it with us...

We eat a lot of stir frys. Like, a lot! My hunny just throws them together with whatever we have in the fridge. They come together pretty easily and you can make as much or as little as you want.

Firstly, we have a rice cooker so that makes cooking rice SO easy and we don't have to add margarine or butter to it, like they say you should with the stove top method. We eat a lot of brown basmati rice (well, we eat it often, not in large quantities).

Basically, we use 1/2 canola / 1/2 olive oil from Loblaws, about a tablespoon. Sautee ground fresh garlic and ginger (we use the fresh jarred stuff, it is much faster and economical for us than buying the fresh stuff, we actually use it all up and there is no waste) in the hot oil, add chopped red onion and whichever meat product you're using (we eat a lot of chicken and lean pork), toss in chopped veggies (whichever you have in the fridge). We also do this with tofu or shrimp or scallops and it's very good with ground turkey for a different texture. If you're using tofu, I'd suggest getting the extra firm stuff.

Our favourites are sweet peppers, broccoli, baby bok choi, zucchini and crimini or portabello mushrooms. We usually use 2 or 3 different veggies. While the veggies are still crunchy, my hunny usually mixes a bit of corn starch with some soy milk and ads either mushroom soy sauce or some hoisin to the mixture and tosses it together. If you start cooking about 20 minutes into the rice cooking, by the time your rice is ready, the meat and veg is ready to go too. Serve that mixture over a bit of rice and break out the chop sticks!

No comments: