Thursday, August 07, 2003

My appointment with my doctor yesterday was great. My weight was down a bit since my last visit but the good part was the chat we had, we talked for about 30 minutes about a lot of different things.

I told her about my struggles over the past month, mostly due to boughts of emotional eating. One of the difficulties of doing this with my hunny is that when I feel all emotional and want to eat, he gets sucked into my vortex of bad carbs and I do the same for him or at least we did last month. As I explained to the doc what exactly had happened and how we’d over-eaten, what and why, she asked me if I would like to try some anti-depressants. Apparently, in some of her other patients who are emotional eaters, she’s prescribed something like Zolof. She said that these folks would then notice a decrease in their appetite and wouldn’t eat due to stress or whatever else would send them to the DQ Drive-Thru. I was a little surprised at the suggestion and said, “no thanks.” I explained that part of the problem was that members of my support network at been away on vacation recently and it made a huge difference in my attitude. Fortunately, almost everyone is back now and things are getting back to normal.

I sat down with my hunny last night and I told him that I’m going to be a “Food Nazi” from here on out. No more DQ’s, no more bad meals out, not for a while anyway. I want to take things back to the way they were in January when we started out. He agreed that this was for the best and promised that he wouldn’t hold it against me if I put my foot down and became (temporarily) a real hard ass about things.

The other real pearl of wisdom I took from the doctor was this. She said, “we only really have 10 weeks of summer in this part of the world. I think grown-ups should be allowed some play time when the weather is nice.” She explained that an extra cocktail here and there, or a binge of fresh cherries or strawberries (or big steak barbecues or whatever) is just fine. I think that she’s right and she’s onto something. For me, summer’s basically over because we’re heading into our busy season at work but I’ll bear that in mind next year during June and July. It will probably result in less me beating myself up and more me enjoying the precious little summertime weather that we experience here in Ontario.

I feel re-energized after yesterday’s visit. Completely recharged and back on track. My eating has been fabulous over the past 3 days and I’ve worked out each day. I’m feeling a lot better than I did over the weekend. I actually feel pretty terrific today! Yay!

No comments: