Friday, April 04, 2003

I can smell supper cooking right now, it's going to be good!! My hunny is making chili with ground turkey. It's been ages since I've had chili and his is amazing!

Today was really good for me. I got in my workout before work and two loads of laundry. As I've mentioned before, I've recently moved offices (within the same building) so now I'm doing the stairs, a lot. I'm happy to report that they are getting a lot better. The building I work in is 170 years old so the stairs are a little weird in places (in others they have been replaced) so it's a challenge getting around, there are many different levels in the building. Unfortunately (or fortunately - for me) there are almost no direct routes from one level to the next. You either have to go outside the building and run around the perimeter into a different entrance or you have to go up two flights of stairs and down one to get to where you're going. I know that it sounds really bizarre but the building is almost 200 years old. Today I found that it was much easier to do them. I'm actually running down some of them now. At one point this morning, I was down in the basement in a colleagues office and, not realizing that the clock in his office was slow, got called into a meeting that was scheduled for 11 a.m. I managed to get up the 2.5 flights of stairs with ease and wasn't out of breath when I reached the top. Yay me!! I didn't run up them but I was able to do the whole thing without stopping or gasping at the top. For most folks, I know that this doesn't sound like a huge deal but it is for me.

The other thing that happened at work today was another non-scale victory. There were two parties in our office this afternoon and I didn't eat a thing at either of them!! They were happening one right after the other, right after lunch. I knew about them in advance so I took some extra fruit with me (strawberries, yum!) for lunch and ate my afternoon banana at the same time. The result was that I was pleasantly full during the parties and I just sipped on my water and visited with folks. Just fyi, the first party featured salsa and chips (a favourite of mine) and a veggie & dip tray and the other party had a huge gooey chocolate cake (home made). I'm so pleased with myself, particularly given that I've been feeling a little under the weather the past few days and my resistance is a little low due to fatigue. Maybe I wasn't as tired as I thought...or I'm stronger than I give myself credit for. In either case, I feel good about the stairs and the food avoidance.

No comments: