Monday, April 28, 2003

I hope that you all had a lovely weekend, we sure did!

We're back from Toronto and we didn't get SARS. Cool huh? The whole WHO warning thing is a little off the map if you ask me. I mean, I wouldn't suggest that folks go hang out at Scarborough Grace hospital and start randomly french kissing people but we were in two different Chinatowns on the weekend and are no worse for the wear.

Thursday to Sunday was completely off plan. We definitely ate more than we normally would but it was good food for the most part. On Thursday night, we had planned to go this cool Chinese place that we love but it turns out that it is now closed (they have 2 locations and they both seem to out of business now) but ended up at Frankie Tomatto's. We used to go there with the little old guy when he was still living in Toronto and it had definitely improved in quality since our last visit. We had really yummy Italian food but not an overly huge amount. I also had a lot of salad and veggies and was pretty impressed with myself. I think it helps that I'm not big on gooey cheeses anymore, there is just no appeal in something covered in mozzarella anymore.

We checked in to our hotel after dinner and visited the gym and pool area just to see how busy it was. It turned out that the hotel was less than 50% occupied because of the SARS warning so it wasn't busy at all. As it turned out though, we never did get into the gym during our visit. We did get a nice swim in though, which was very nice. We did a lot of walking while we were away and I quite enjoyed it. A few months ago, it would have been a big struggle for me to have done the walking we did. The wedding was on Friday night and we had some errands to do during the day so we wandered around a fair bit around in Kensington Market. The wedding itself was in Edwards Gardens. The ceremony was outside and the meal was being served in the Civic Hall of the Gardens. There was a lot of vegan / vegetarian friendly food there so again, the food choices were pretty good.

The two things we did indulge ourselves in while were away were breakfast and lunch. We had bagels, lox & cream cheese all three mornings we were away, in three different really good bagel places in North York and we had buns from Chinese bakeries for lunch on Friday and Sunday. They were amazing and I really enjoyed them but I've had my fill of bread for a good long while I think. The walking and the swimming we did was okay but I have missed my regular workouts. I'm off work today and I plan to get back into it right away. Ditto for the eating. We knew that we would be taking a break from our program while we were out of town but we're both getting right back into it today. It was nice but now it's over and I don't think that I would want to take that long of a break again because my body just didn't need the extra starch. All in all though it was a great weekend, saw lots of our friends and really enjoyed ourselves!

No comments: