Wednesday, April 16, 2003

I only have one half of one work day until the weekend. I can't wait!! I dragged my big ass out of bed at 5:30 this morning and plunked it on my bike. It was tough but I managed to get a decent workout in this morning. I'm trying to do more work on my upper body every day.

I felt pretty tired all day today, I blame the time change, I blame the gas attack on Friday (that's just an excuse I know it's not really part of the reason I'm tired) but mostly I blame my period. It's finally on it's way (I think -- I'll know for sure in a few hours). It's ridiculously late this month but it was like this in February too. I think that the low fat / low calorie / high exercise dealy that I'm putting this poor old body through is shocking it a bit. I had my PMS at the normal time but my period didn't start when I thought it would (and no, I'm not pregnant - heavens! NO!), it's just off kilter. It gets like this when I'm stressed out. I think that the office move and my little old guy's hospitalization at then end of March threw me for a tailspin, the same thing happened to me last summer when we had a death in the family. I'm just glad that it seems to be getting going now...this way I'll have it out of the way before we go away next weekend. I'm sure once it gets started, the lazy-ass feelings I've been having will be gone.

Foodwise it was a weird day. I had a great breakfast and I ate early. I ordinarily eat after I shower but this morning I ate before my shower. I had my mid-morning fruit snack (a banana) before I went to a meeting at 10 but wasn't hungry at all when I came out of the meeting at noon. I worked through lunch and grabbed an apple at 2 or so. It was odd that I wasn't hungry (I never have this problem!) but I think I was partially overtired or something. Tonight we decided to go out for dinner and I had a good dinner (Chinese food - yum) but wasn't famished like I expected I might be after not having a lunch. My body does truly require less fuel these days. I don't like skipping meals though, I know my body needs calories to help burn the fat and fuel my exercise.

Non-scale type of thing of the day: My officemate and I pulled out a picture of the two of us from November and we were both shocked at the difference in ourselves. She's been going to WW since about the time I started my program and I can see a huge difference in my face and hands and neck, and I could see a major difference in her face and arms. It was really scary to see how big I was back then. We were working at this fancy dancy black tie dinner and were all spiffed up but my hands look like someone had inflated them with a pump or something. We both felt pretty good about ourselves when we looked at each other and were complimenting the heck out of each other for what we've accomplished. We are so the big losers!! YAY!!

Today's Wednesday Weigh-In is about "Idolizing."

Who do you look up to in regards to health and fitness issues?

The women I have met on the Weigh-Better board are the greatest inspiration I can think of. I have a hard time "idolizing" celebrities who have lost weight because so many of them use totally unrealistic, unhealthy methods to do it. They follow fads or have weigh loss surgery or use medication or plastic surgery to change their bodies.

I look up to women who have lost weight naturally, through changing their diet and moving their bodies. The women who have done this and lost weight, and keep it off through hard work and natural methods are the ones I most admire. They inspire and amaze me. Sometimes it feels like the whole world is set up to undermine our ability to keep fit and healthy. The women I have met online aren't perfect but they doing their very best and they're always there to give me a lift when I need it!

No comments: