Thursday, July 03, 2003

I wanted to quickly follow-up on something I asked about earlier in the week. I wrote about a woman I observed in a restaurant who was hollowing out her bagel. A couple of folks let me know that this was a good way to cut down on the carbs while still enjoying the bagel-y goodness. Here's something I found on Yahoo! tonight which backs it up:

Bagels: The "Hole" Truth

One bagel-shop bagel with regular cream cheese has the same amount of calories as three donuts. To save empty calories in the morning, eat only half a bagel and use low-fat cream cheese. While bagels are low in fat, most are equal to about 4 servings of bread, so the calorie count is high. If you're devoted to your morning bagel, cut some of the calories by scooping out part of the doughy inside. Or, start your day with a slice of whole-wheat toast, and save about 175 calories.

No comments: